Advocacy resources and publications
Do you want to learn more about Habitat for Humanity’s advocacy efforts? These resources and publications can give you a more in-depth look at our efforts that help change laws and shape policies to improve access to decent, affordable housing for families in need of a place to call home.
U.S. federal policy fact sheets
Our fact sheets provide an overview of Habitat’s several federal legislative priorities in the United States.
- AmeriCorps and national service (PDF, 473KB)
- Housing finance reform (PDF, 294KB)
- Home investment partnerships program (PDF, 317KB)
- Self-help homeownership opportunity program (PDF, 443KB)
- Solid Ground (PDF, 380KB)
Habitat's annual policy-specific report highlights shelter issues around the world and recommends policy solutions.
Read news updates from our policy experts regarding legislative and regulatory developments that help us help more families build strength, stability and self-reliance through shelter.
- June 2: Habitat for Humanity applauds Consumer Financial Protection Bureau for proposing rule to regulate payday debt traps
- May 10: Habitat for Humanity applauds inclusion of housing and other essential factors in zero draft of New Urban Agenda
- April 21: Senate passes energy bill that includes competitive grant program for weatherization services
State of advocacy reports
Our annual advocacy-specific report features ways we are changing laws and policies to increase access to our shelter solutions at the local, national, regional and global levels.
- Fiscal Year 2015 (PDF, 2.5MB)
- Fiscal Year 2014 (PDF, 908KB)
- Fiscal Year 2013 (PDF, 2MB)
- Fiscal Year 2012 (PDF, 1MB)
Understand our approach to advocacy and help support smart policies that promote access to decent, affordable homes.
- Global Advocacy Guide: English (PDF, 2MB) | Español (PDF, 1.2MB)
- Interfaith advocacy toolkit (PDF, 646KB)
- International Interfaith advocacy toolkit (PDF, 1MB)
- A How-To Guide for the Legal Sale of Property in Haiti
Haitians, NGOs and international investors can use this document to navigate the complex bureaucratic legal system of buying and selling land, and securing property – all critical first steps to permanent reconstruction after the 2010 Haiti earthquake.
Haiti Land Transaction manual
The Haiti Land Transaction Manual, Vol. 1 documents how to buy and sell land in Haiti.
The manual was the result of a year’s collaboration between Habitat for Humanity International, Architecture for Humanity, local legal experts, and the Haitian government.
It is an accessible manual that Haitians, NGOs and international investors can use to navigate the complex bureaucratic legal system and secure property − a critical first step to permanent reconstruction.