AmeriCorps VISTA member benefits
Serving as an AmeriCorps National member offers you several benefits. AmeriCorps National members engage directly with Habitat volunteers, partner families, and community members to build and repair homes. They make a needed impact in one of five areas – construction, deconstruction, family services, volunteer services, or community outreach.
AmeriCorps VISTA members gain the following:
- Satisfaction of making a difference in their community and country.
- Work and life skills that translate directly into job experience.
- The personal satisfaction of accepting challenges and seeing results.
- Teamwork, communication, and other essential skills.
Their program benefits include the following:
- Monthly living allowance ranging from $973 to $1,650. Note that it is determined by the service location and is subject to change, and that most locations are on the lower end of this range.
- $5,730 Education Award or end-of-service stipend of $1,500 after the successful completion of service. The Segal Education Award is good for seven years from the completion of service and can be used to repay qualified student loans or for future education at eligible schools. Learn more about the Segal AmeriCorps Education Award.
- Possible forbearance of qualified student loans. Note that interest continues to accrue. However accrued interest on qualified loans is eligible for payment by the National Service Trust.
- Health plan benefits. Members are eligible to enroll in either a limited plan that does not meet the minimum requirements of the Affordable Care Act or sign up for an allowance to supplement some of the out-of-pocket, non-premium costs of a plan that is secured on your own. Learn more about VISTA healthcare options.
- 10 personal and 10 sick days.
- Childcare benefits if you qualify. Learn more about our childcare benefits.
- Non-competitive hiring status for federal government jobs for one year after the member’s service.
- VISTAs may not have outside employment while serving. However, VISTAs may attend school while serving if their supervisor approves and the class hours do not conflict with their full-time service schedule.
- Upon completion of your service, you will become a member of the Habitat AmeriCorps Alumni Association. Visit the Habitat AmeriCorps Alumni Association for more information about benefits and opportunities.