AmeriCorps VISTA member benefits
Serving as an AmeriCorps National member offers you several benefits. AmeriCorps National members engage directly with Habitat volunteers, partner families and community members to build and repair homes. They make a needed impact in one of five areas – construction, deconstruction, family services, volunteer services, or community outreach.
AmeriCorps VISTA members gain the following:
- Satisfaction of making a difference in their community and country.
- Work and life skills that translate directly into job experience.
- The personal satisfaction of accepting challenges and seeing results.
- Teamwork, communication and other essential skills.
AmeriCorps VISTA program benefits include:
- Monthly living allowance ranging from $973 to $1,650. Note that it is determined by the service location and is subject to change. Most locations are on the lower end of this range.
- $5,775 Education Award (lifetime maximum of two awards) or end-of-service stipend of $1,500 after the successful completion of service. The Segal Education Award is good for seven years from the completion of service and can be used to repay qualified student loans or for future education at eligible schools. Learn more about the Segal AmeriCorps Education Award.
- Possible forbearance of qualified student loans. Note that interest continues to accrue. However accrued interest on qualified loans is eligible for payment by the National Service Trust.
- Health plan benefits. The plan is not insurance and does not meet the requirements of the Affordable Care Act. Members who are not legally exempt from maintaining health care coverage are expected to have primary health care coverage outside of VISTA. The plan benefits provide support to existing coverage to supplement some of the out-of-pocket, non-premium, costs of a plan that is secured on your own. Learn more about VISTA healthcare options.
- 10 personal and 10 sick days.
- Childcare benefits if you qualify. Learn more about our childcare benefits.
- Non-competitive hiring status for federal government jobs for one year after the member’s service.
- While in service, VISTAs may have outside employment or attend school only with the authorization of their host site. Employment or school hours cannot conflict with the full-time service schedule.
- Upon completion of your service, you will become a member of the Habitat AmeriCorps Alumni Association. Visit the Habitat AmeriCorps Alumni Association for more information about benefits and opportunities.