Travel Medical Insurance Coverage Policy
A portion of your trip cost established by Habitat for Humanity covers the cost of insurance coverage. By paying your trip cost, you will automatically be insured against medical accident; illness; and accidental loss of life, limb, sight, speech or hearing while participating in volunteer activities sponsored and supervised by Habitat for Humanity. This mandatory insurance coverage is designed to protect Habitat’s Global Village trip volunteers and is part of a comprehensive risk management program.
The following is a general summary of the insurance. Actual coverage is subject to the language of the policy terms and conditions. Exclusions and limitations apply.
Specifications, provisions and exclusions
Coverage is sold on a per-day basis, commences at the actual start of the published itinerary and terminates at the end of the published itinerary.
The policy does not cover loss caused by or resulting from any of the following:
- Intentionally self-inflicted injuries.
- Suicide or attempted suicide while sane.
- Pregnancy, childbirth or miscarriage.
- Accidents occurring while a passenger on, operating or learning to operate any aircraft.
- Injuries or sickness suffered while under the influence of drugs (other than prescribed) or alcohol.
- Injuries or illness suffered while racing or committing or attempting to commit a felony.
- Injuries caused by or resulting from recreational travel in or on any off-road motorized vehicle not requiring licensing as a motor vehicle, or a motor vehicle not designed primarily for use on public streets or highways.
- Injuries resulting from off-road motorcycling; scuba diving; jet, snow or water skiing; mountain climbing (where ropes or guides are used); sky diving; amateur automobile racing; automobile racing or automobile speed contests; bungee jumping; spelunking; white water rafting; surfing; or parasailing.
For international trips, covered medical expenses incurred for treatment of a pre-existing condition are limited to a maximum of $50,000. “Pre-existing condition” means any injury or illness that was contracted or that manifested itself, or for which treatment or medication was prescribed, before the effective date of this insurance.
Covered services per volunteer for volunteer trips in the U.S.
Accidental death and dismemberment– Up to $250,000
Accident medical expense benefits–$250,000
Emergency medical guarantee benefits–Up to $10,000
Emergency medical evacuation benefit–100 percent of the covered expenses, such as transportation under medical supervision to a treatment facility.
Repatriation of remains benefit–100 percent of the covered expenses, such as transporation of remains to permanment residence.
Family reunion benefit–$100 a day for up to five days
Covered services per volunteer for international volunteer trips
Accidental death and dismemberment–Up to $250,000
Disability benefit (permanent total disability)–$250,000
Out-of-country medical expense benefits:
Maximum for medical expense benefits–$250,000
Maximum for pre-existing conditions–$50,000
Maximum for dental treatment (injury only)–$250,000
Home country extension benefit–Up to the out-of-country medical expense benefit maximum.
Emergency medical guarantee benefit–Up to $10,000.
Emergency medical evacuation benefit–100 percent of the covered expenses, such as governmental authorization and transportation under medical supervision to a treament facility.
Repatriation of remains benefit–100 percent of the covered expenses, such as transportation of remains to home country.
Family reunion benefit–$100 per day, up to five days
Security evacuation expense benefit–Up to $100,000 (aggregate limit: $500,000 per occurrence)
Travel assistance services
ACE USA Accident and Health offers access to a multilingual call center 24 hours a day, 365 days a year to help our travelers get the assistance they need while traveling or working anywhere in the world.
These services include:
- Medical assistance, including referral to a doctor, medical monitoring when you are hospitalized, emergency medical evacuation and return of mortal remains.
- Personal assistance, including pretrip medical referral information and, while you are on a trip, emergency medication, embassy and consular information, lost document assistance, emergency message transmission, emergency cash advance, emergency referral to a lawyer, translator or interpreter access, medical benefits verification, and medical claims assistance.
- Travel assistance, including emergency travel arrangements, arrangements for the return of your traveling companion or dependents, and vehicle return.
- Security assistance, including a crisis hotline and on-the-ground security assistance to help address safety concerns or to secure immediate assistance while traveling, along with access to a secure, Web-based system for tracking global threats and health or location-based risk intelligence.
This information provides you with a brief outline of the services available to you. These services are not insured benefits. Reimbursement for any service expenses is limited to the terms and conditions of the policy under which you are insured. You may be required to pay for services not covered. A third-party vendor may provide services to you. Europ Assistance makes every effort to refer you to appropriate medical and other service providers. It is not responsible for the quality or results of service provided by independent providers.
In all cases, the medical provider, facility, legal counsel or other professional service provider suggested by Europ Assistance is not an employee or agent of Europ Assistance, and the choice of provider is yours alone. Europ Assistance assumes no liability for the services provided to you under this arrangement, nor is it liable for any negligence or other wrongful acts or omissions of any of the legal or health care professionals providing services to you. Travel assistance services are not available if your coverage under the policy is not in effect.
For medical referrals, evacuation, repatriation or other services please call:
ACE Travel Assistance Program
800-243-6124 (inside the USA)
+1-202-659-7803 (outside the USA, call collect)
Visit ACETravelAssistance.com for access to global threat assessments and location-based intelligence.
Register to access the site using the group ID and activation code below:
Group ID: aceah
Activation code: security
ACE Travel Assistance Program
Plan number: 01AH585
Organization: Habitat for Humanity International, Inc.
Policy number: ADD N10784177
Assistance Provider: Europ Assistance USA
Europ Assistance provides emergency medical and travel services and pretrip information services. Please call when:
- You require a referral to a hospital or doctor.
- You are hospitalized.
- You need to be evacuated or repatriated.
- You need to guarantee payment for medical expenses.
- You experience local communication problems.
- Your safety is threatened by the sudden occurrence of a political or military event.