Join a team of volunteers for a once-in-a-lifetime experience building homes and hope with Habitat for Humanity Malawi.
You’ll work with skilled masons to build two houses up from the foundation. You will also gain access to authentic Malawi: build alongside the partner families and their neighbors, experience local Malawian culture, and get an insider’s look at how Habitat is improving housing conditions and transforming communities.
Your team will build with our Orphans and Vulnerable Children project, which supplies a decent house, health education, and legal assistance to orphans and their caretaker. That’s a story you’ll be excited to share.
Strengthen a community, enjoy a unique experience, meet like-minded people and come home reinvigorated and reimagined.
Meals and accommodations
- Friday, day 1: Depart from North America.
- Saturday, day 2: Arrive in Lilongwe, Malawi. Habitat for Humanity picks you up at the airport. Meet your team for dinner and activities at the guesthouse.
- Sunday, day 3: Habitat staff shares about our innovative work in Malawi and briefs the team on your project. Travel to the affiliate community for a welcome dinner.
- Monday-Thursday, days 4-7: Build from 8 a.m.-4 p.m., with free time and cultural activities each evening.
- Friday, day 8: Build until lunch, then join the house dedication and farewell ceremony. Return to Lilongwe.
- Saturday, day 9: A day to explore Malawi’s capital city, Lilongwe.
- Sunday, day 10: Your journey in Africa may continue independently, or you may depart for home.
Habitat for Humanity prepares travel arrangements once you arrive in Malawi, including accommodations, meals, transportation, and insurance. Your cost includes an important donation to Habitat for Humanity so that we can continue building safe, decent housing after you return home. (For more details about what is included, visit Global Village program cost.)
Share your story
Create a page on Share.Habitat to begin telling friends, family, and coworkers about your work with Habitat. You can also post updates from the field when you get the chance. Come home and share photos, videos, and updates with your supporters. It’s a great way to raise support for your trip costs and build Habitat’s impact! Together we are improving housing conditions and ending poverty housing.
Contact this team’s leader
Have questions? Ready to join the team? Chris Untiet will lead this team in the field and would love to speak with you.
Chris says: Isn't it incredible how we have the opportunity each day to get up, build hope, and forever transform lives for the good? That's my motivation for leading this trip to Malawi in Africa, a continent that my heart longs to serve. I grew up in Iowa and moved out to Los Angeles four years ago to work and serve with Habitat for Humanity. Since then, I have also traveled to China, Paraguay, El Salvador, and the Gulf Coast to build with Habitat. When not building, I love the movies, running, reading, traveling and sitting on the beach. I am looking forward to seeing the great team who will come together for this journey. It's going to be a life-altering experience we will always treasure.