Travel to the town of Bisidimo, where Habitat for Humanity Ethiopia is helping to turn around a neighborhood. Your team will build healthy housing for families whose cracked walls and leaking roofs are causing vulnerable families to get sick. You’ll meet the family whose lives you are helping improve. Many in this community have disabled family members, so you will address urgent needs. You’ll also get an insider’s glimpse at how Habitat for Humanity Ethiopia is growing its groundbreaking work and serving more families than ever.
Our Ethiopian staff will host you in nearby Harar, home to some of the best coffee in the world. We’ll help you explore the region and experience authentic local culture. You’ll also meet lots of the neighbors and their kids as you work on the house.
Join other like-minded volunteers for this unique experience, and come home reinvigorated and reimagined.
- Build housing to improve a neighborhood’s health and opportunities.
- Address an urgent need by helping families with disabled members.
- Experience rural Ethiopia, home to some of the world’s best coffee and most fertile farmland.
Meals and accommodations
Tasks on the work site
- Friday, day 1: Volunteers traveling from North America depart.
- Saturday, day 2: Arrive in Addis Ababa, and Habitat for Humanity picks you up at the airport. Meet your team for activities at the hotel. Habitat staff shares about our innovative work in Ethiopia and briefs the team on your project.
- Sunday, day 3: Travel to Bisidimo and explore.
- Monday-Friday, days 4-8: Build on the work site, with free time and cultural activities each evening.
- Saturday, day 9: Build for the first half of the day, then enjoy a closing ceremony with community members, including cultural music and dance.
- Sunday, day 10: Travel back to Addis Ababa. Your journey in Africa may continue independently, or you may depart for home.
Habitat for Humanity prepares travel arrangements inside Ethiopia, including accommodations, meals, transportation and insurance. Your cost includes an important donation to Habitat for Humanity so that we can continue building safe, decent housing after you return home. (For more details about what is included, visit Global Village program cost.)
Share your story
You’re doing something exciting with Habitat, so tell people about it! Create a page on Share.Habitat to tell friends, family and coworkers about your Global Village trip. Share photos and videos, even updates from the field. It’s a great way to raise support for your program cost, and anything extra goes as donations to build Habitat’s impact. Together we can improve shelter conditions and end poverty housing.
Contact this team’s leader
Have questions? Ready to join? Jess Wilson will lead this team in the field and would love to speak with you.
Jess’s favorite Global Village memory: On a GV trip to China, our main job was hauling bricks—so much so that some team members made a song about it! We developed some serious muscles by the end of our time there, and on the last day, our whole team performed the brick song for the amused village. Who knew bricks could be so much fun? Visit Jess’s personal website.