Come together with a team of volunteers to winterize homes for low-income families in Kumsangir, Tajikistan.
You’ll meet the families who will live in warm, safe houses after you finish. New insulation, flooring, windows and doors are a simple solution that will keep children healthy and in school. This project isn’t about just shelter—it’s about sustainable health.
You will get back as much as you give. Tajikistan offers the most spectacular scenic views in Central Asia, and you will receive a rare insider’s glimpse of the village where you stay.
You will also have time to take in sights and relax in Istanbul, Turkey, a world-class city.
Change the lives of these families, and come home with an experience worth talking about.
- Friday, day 1: Depart from North America.
- Saturday, day 2: Arrive in Istanbul, Turkey, and meet your team at dinner.
- Sunday, day 3: Explore beautiful Istanbul then travel together to Dushanbe, Tajikistan.
- Monday, day 4: Habitat staff talks about their work in Tajikistan and briefs the team on the project.
- Tuesday-Saturday, days 5-9: Build each day, with free time and cultural activities in the evenings. Visit completed Habitat homes and meet neighbors.
- Sunday, day 10: A free day for rest or cultural activities.
- Monday-Tuesday, days 11-12: Build, with free time at night.
- Wednesday, day 13: Travel to Dushanbe to see historical sites and enjoy a farewell dinner with local Habitat staff.
- Thursday, day 14: Travel back to Istanbul and enjoy a free day exploring the city.
- Friday, day 15: Your journey in Europe may continue independently, or you may depart for home.
This cost includes an important donation to Habitat for Humanity so that we can continue building safe, decent housing after you return home. For more details about what is included, visit Global Village program cost.
Share your story and keep Habitat building
You’re doing something exciting with Habitat, so tell people about it! Create a page on Share.Habitat to tell friends, family, and coworkers about your Global Village trip. It’s a great way to raise your program cost, and the additional funds you raise will keep Habitat building.
• Winterize homes to keep families healthy
• See the scenic beauty of Tajikistan and the ancient city of Istanbul, Turkey
Accommodations and food
Your team will stay in double-occupancy hotel rooms with shared bathrooms. You will have opportunities to try local delicacies as well as standard European food.
Contact this team’s leader
Have questions? Ready to join the team? Wanda Smith, firstname.lastname@example.org, will lead this team in the field and would love to speak with you.
Wanda’s favorite GV story: A homeowner in rural Africa gave me three eggs wrapped in a banana leaf as a thank you for my team working on her home. She had nothing, by our standards, but she gave what she had.