Experience Habitat’s Global Village program Big Island style! When you join this volunteer trip, you’ll learn about Hawaiian spirit of aloha and their respect for the land. Come with an open mind and a readiness to serve.
Habitat West Hawaii is active in several projects and, depending on the timing, the team could take part in new construction, critical home repairs, A Brush with Kindness, or community projects. Tasks for these projects include:
- A Brush with Kindness: Volunteers will prepare the house for painting by power washing and taping off windows, and complete an exterior paint job of the house.
- New construction: Exterior work will involve framing and finish carpentry. Interior tasks include anything from putting in flooring, installing cabinets, etc., depending on the progress of the job site.
- Critical repairs: Volunteers can expect to work on installing new siding, repairing any foundational work, repairing bathroom and kitchen areas, etc.
Plus, there’s an abundance of fun activities to enjoy during your trip. You can take a trip to Volcanoes National Park, enjoy a hike in Pololu Valley, go whale watching or go snorkeling at Kahalu’u Beach Park.
Global Village sends volunteers to build with Habitat for Humanity projects across the world. Get your hands dirty on the worksite, meet the families whose housing situation you are improving, experience the country like an insider and do it all alongside a team of like-minded volunteers. No experience is required! This build is your next step with Habitat to make the world a better place.
- Saturday: Arrive in Hawaii and meet your team.
- Sunday: Team building and cultural activities.
- Monday: Habitat staff will explain about their work in Hawaii. Build day following orientation.
- Tuesday-Friday: Work on the build site all day, followed by dinner and free time in the evenings.
- Saturday: Team debrief, cultural activities and a farewell dinner.
- Sunday: Your trip to Hawaii may continue independently, or you may depart for home.
This cost includes an important donation to Habitat for Humanity so that we can continue building safe, decent housing after you return home. For more details about what is included, visit Global Village program cost.
Share your story and keep Habitat building
You’re doing something exciting with Habitat, so tell people about it! Create a page on Share.Habitat to tell friends, family and coworkers about your Global Village trip. Fundraising your program cost will be easy, and any additional funds you raise will keep Habitat building after your team returns home.
Accommodations and food
Teams will stay at a local hotel that is centrally located to shopping and dining and not far from the build site. Lunches will be provided on the build site and teams can visit local restaurants for dinner.
Types of work for volunteers
A variety of construction tasks await volunteers. All work will be done under the direction of a construction supervisor. Tools and safety equipment will be provided by the affiliate.
Contact this team’s leader
Have questions? Ready to join the team? Candy Gallup will lead this team in the field and would love to speak with you.
Candy’s favorite GV memory: “In Vietnam the family’s three children were on the job site most of the week. I couldn’t speak Vietnamese but by the end of the week the 10-year-old daughter and I we were communicating very well through the Candy Crush game on my phone - she became as addicted to the game as me and she couldn’t wait for our breaks so that she could help me play.”