Jordan: Build with a women’s community
Join this volunteer team to Jordan and you’ll build with a family in a women-run community — a rare opportunity in Middle Eastern culture.
Meet the neighbors and see the difference you’re making with your time, sweat, and resources. Habitat Jordan carefully selects a partner family to ensure that this house will be a sustainable solution as they break the poverty cycle.
You’ll also experience everyday life inside the most peaceful country in the region. Some teams pluck olives on a farm or visit a textile shop to see how communities sustain themselves.
Global Village sends volunteers to build with Habitat for Humanity projects across the world. Get your hands dirty on the worksite, meet the families whose housing situation you are improving, experience the country like an insider and do it all alongside a team of like-minded volunteers. No experience is required! This build is your next step with Habitat to make the world a better place.
• Partner with a community of independent, self-sustaining women.
• Experience Middle Eastern culture inside a peaceful nation.
• Live and work like a local with close access to neighborhood life.
Your cost includes an important contribution to Habitat for Humanity. It helps fund this project and keeps us building around the world. For more details about what is included, visit Global Village program cost.
- Day 1, Friday: North American volunteers depart.
- Day 2, Saturday: Arrive in Amman. Habitat for Humanity picks you up at the airport and introduces you to your team at dinner.
- Day 3, Sunday: Travel to the affiliate community, where Habitat staff will share about our impact in Jordan and brief the team on your project.
- Days 4-7, Monday-Thursday: Build on the work site, with free time, team meetings, and cultural activities in the evenings. Enjoy a dedication ceremony on Thursday.
- Day 8, Friday: Continue your journey in the Middle East independently or depart for home.
Meals and accommodations
In Amman teams stay in double-occupancy rooms in a modest, comfortable hotel. Near the work site, the team stays in community spaces with separate communal sleeping for men and women. At dinner, try traditional Jordanian dishes or cook as a group with food you buy at the market.
Tasks on the work site
Sifting sand, mixing cement, hauling blocks, bricklaying, painting and plastering as well as other tasks assigned by the expert construction crew. We use locally available building materials so that the project is economically and ecologically responsible.
Share your story and keep Habitat building
You’re doing something exciting with Habitat, so tell people about it! Create a page on Share.Habitat to tell friends, family and coworkers about your Global Village trip. Fundraising your program cost is easy, and any additional funds you raise will keep Habitat building after your team returns home.
Contact this team’s leader
Have questions? Ready to join? Lindsey Herbel will lead this team in the field and would love to speak with you.
What Lindsey loves about Global Village: “This will be my fifth Global Village trip. My favorite memories from past trips are about the connection and community that I experienced traveling a great distance to build a home for someone in need. There is a deep sense of purpose that comes from working alongside a family to build the home that they will raise their children in. I look forward to creating more of those memories.”