Malawi: Orphans and Vulnerable Children Project
Come together with a team of volunteers to build a home for orphans and their caretaker in a rural village in Malawi.
Your team will work with skilled masons to build a safe, decent house up from the foundation. The neighbors will welcome you into their community, so you’ll be immersed in the daily life of that village. You may be invited into some other families’ homes, see their corn crops and even meet a few pets.
After your team builds the house, Habitat for Humanity will provide the children with health education, legal assistance and community support. That’s a story you’ll be excited to share back home.
Global Village sends volunteers to build with Habitat for Humanity projects across the world. Get your hands dirty on the worksite, meet the families whose housing situation you are improving, experience the country like an insider and do it all alongside a team of like-minded volunteers. No experience is required! This build is your next step with Habitat to make the world a better place.
• Build with our Orphans and Vulnerable Children project, Habitat’s response to the AIDS/HIV crisis.
• Spend quality time at the work site with your partner family’s kids and neighbors.
• This trip is a great introduction to Africa, thanks to Malawi’s natural beauty and hospitable people.
This cost includes a significant donation to Habitat for Humanity, and it covers the volunteer’s accommodations, meals, in-country transportation and travel medical insurance. Read details.
You may fundraise the program cost, pay it all or pay some yourself and fundraise the rest. With our help, fundraising with social media and email will be easy. We hope that you will set a goal above program cost. That additional donation will keep Habitat building after your team returns home. Joining this team can be your first step in making Malawi a better place to live.
- Day 1, Saturday: Most volunteers will depart from North America on this day.
- Day 2, Sunday: Arrive in Lilongwe, Malawi, where Habitat picks you up at the airport. Habitat staff will share about our innovative work in Malawi and brief the team on your project. Travel to the community where you’ll build.
- Days 3-6, Monday-Thursday: Build, with free time and team activities in the evenings.
- Day 7, Friday: Build, then enjoy the house dedication ceremony. Return to Lilongwe.
- Day 8, Saturday: Explore Lilongwe, Malawi’s capital city.
- Day 9, Sunday: Continue your journey in Africa independently or depart for home.
Meals and accommodations
Global Village teams stay in modest, comfortable hotels with double-occupancy rooms. Breakfast and dinner are taken at the hotel most nights, and lunch is served on the work site.
Tasks on the work site
Typical work includes mixing mortar and concrete, carrying construction materials, fixing chicken wires, digging foundations, making bricks, carrying water and other tasks as assigned by the expert construction workers.
Contact this team’s leader
Have questions? Ready to join the team? Clayton Bartczak will lead this team in the field and would love to speak with you.
Clayton’s favorite Global Village memory: “On a trip to Honduras, our team found out that the mother in our partner family might lose custody of her two young daughters because she didn’t own a home. We understood that our hard work to help her build her home would provide stable, affordable shelter for her family—and also enable her to live with and care for her daughters in a way she couldn’t before. Seeing the effects of Habitat’s work is what excites me and keeps me coming back for more!”