Colombia: High-Impact Team
Join this High-Impact Team and help Habitat for Humanity redefine what a volunteer can do.
You and your team will work to improve an informal settlement in Soacha, Colombia. Build housing for four families, improve community infrastructure by helping pave roads and meet with local government officials to tell them about Habitat’s solutions for safe, decent housing.
This is Habitat’s only High-Impact Team for 2014. Take this opportunity to make lasting improvements for an entire community – and bring back an experience you won’t find anywhere else.
Work shoulder to shoulder with the neighbors and become part of this community. Get to know the families whose lives you’re helping improve. We will even find some time to see the most beautiful parts of Bogota.
Because this team will accomplish so much, you’ll become an insider at Habitat for Humanity Colombia. Their staff will take you behind the scenes to show how we are helping Colombian families break the poverty cycle and access opportunity, stability, and potential. It will be a crash course on how economic and community development happens.
Global Village sends volunteers to build with Habitat for Humanity projects across the world. Get your hands dirty on the worksite, meet the families whose housing situation you are improving, experience the country like an insider and do it all alongside a team of like-minded volunteers. No experience is required! This build is your next step with Habitat to make the world a better place.
High Impact Team volunteers bring a significant donation to empower Habitat’s work. This cost also includes accommodations, meals, in-country transportation and medical insurance. . Read more details.
You may fundraise the program cost, pay it, or use a combination of both. Habitat for Humanity will equip you to tell friends, family and coworkers about this project in Colombia, and once they hear, they will be eager to support it. With our help, fundraising with social media and email will be easy, and any additional funds you raise will keep Habitat building after your team returns home.
- Day 1, Saturday: Volunteers arrive in Bogota, Colombia, where Habitat picks you up at the airport. Meet up with your team and visit Monserrat. Habitat staff will introduce themselves during a welcome dinner. For the duration of your trip you will stay at a modest, comfortable hotel in Bogota, in double occupancy rooms.
- Day 2, Sunday: Meet the community in Soacha, where you’ll build during the week. Habitat Colombia will provide an in-depth look at their strategy and progress.
- Days 3-5, Monday-Wednesday: Build, with free time and team activities in the evenings.
- Day 6, Thursday: See Habitat Colombia in action when you attend an advocacy event. Learn about the issues at the center of the fight for affordable housing.
- Day 7, Friday: Explore the city of Bogota with your team and enjoy a final dinner at a famous restaurant.
- Day 8, Saturday: Your journey in South America may continue independently, or you may depart for home.
What volunteers will accomplish
You will build housing and help pave a road; tasks may include mixing mortar and cement, moving construction materials, digging, plastering, and other duties as assigned by the construction supervisor. You will also meet with partner organizations and government officials to enlist their help in improving Colombia.
Contact this team’s leader
Have questions? Ready to join the team? Team leader Sara Fairfoot would love to speak with you.
Chris Davis, Sara Fairfoot and Katya Zakharenko will lead this team. Last year they volunteered on our very first High-Impact Team, and they were so inspired by Habitat Colombia’s work to improve this settlement that they agreed to lead the next team. Chris lives in Minneapolis, Minnesota, and Sara and Katya live in Los Angeles, California.