Healthy Home Kits
A safe, decent place to live requires more than a roof over your head. Build a house plus new kitchens and bathrooms for existing houses, and you’ll help a handful of families take a step toward healthy living.
Your team of volunteers will build a new house alongside a partner family. Get to know the neighbors as you install Healthy Home Kits in existing homes, which include smokeless stoves, water filtration systems and new bathrooms. See firsthand how Habitat is helping improve the health and success of people in need.
Stay in beautiful Panajachel, which sits on Lake Atitlan and is spectacularly bordered by volcanos. Enjoy traditional Guatemalan lunches at the worksite, and sample the range of local cuisine at dinner.
Global Village sends volunteers to build with Habitat for Humanity projects across the world. Get your hands dirty on the worksite, meet the families whose housing situation you are improving, experience the country like an insider, and do it all alongside a team of like-minded volunteers. No experience is required! This build is your next step with Habitat to make the world a better place.
• Help a handful of families with housing, kitchens and bathrooms.
• See how Habitat’s work expands beyond housing into health and economics.
• Explore Antiqua, a UNESCO world heritage site.
- Saturday: Arrive in Guatemala City and meet your team over dinner.
- Sunday: Travel to Panajachel. Habitat staff will share about our work developing communities in Guatemala and introduce you to partner families.
- Monday-Friday: Build, with free time or cultural activities in the evenings. Enjoy a dedication ceremony with the neighbors.
- Saturday: Travel to Antigua, a UNESCO world heritage site, to spend the day exploring markets, historic churches and cobblestone streets.
- Sunday: Your journey in Central America may continue independently, or you may depart for home.
This cost includes an important donation to Habitat for Humanity so that we can continue building safe, decent housing after you return home. For more details about what is included, visit Global Village program cost.
Share your story and keep Habitat building
You’re doing something exciting with Habitat, so tell people about it! Create a page on Share.Habitat to tell friends, family and coworkers about your Global Village trip. Fundraising your program cost will be easy, and any additional funds you raise will keep Habitat building after your team returns home.
Accommodations and food
Teams stay in modest but comfortable hotels. All meals, snacks and ample water will be provided. Teams can sample the range of local cuisine at dinner.
Types of work for volunteers
Volunteers will work under the direction of expert masons. Habitat staff will supply full safety training and instruction.
Contact this team’s leader
Have questions? Ready to join the team? Duane Hershberger will lead this team in the field and would love to speak with you.
Duane says about GV, “After a few days of hard work, good conversation and new friends, I often see a GV volunteer take a few minutes to sit quietly and reflect. Those are special moments, especially when our after-dinner conversations give voice to those thoughts. We're enriched in so many surprising ways when we travel to make a difference in a family's life and that's what keeps me coming back.”