Travel to Ethiopia and help Habitat for Humanity Ethiopia build shelter for vulnerable families. Make their cracked walls and leaky roofs a thing of the past.
You’ll meet the family whose lives you are helping improve. You’ll also get an insider’s glimpse at how Habitat for Humanity Ethiopia working innovatively to serve families with clean water and healthy sanitation solutions.
Our Ethiopian staff will introduce you to authentic local culture. The country is home to some of the best coffee in the world, and you’ll roast, grind and brew beans during a traditional coffee ceremony. You’ll also meet lots of the neighbors and their kids as you work on the house.
Global Village sends volunteers to build with Habitat for Humanity projects across the world. Get your hands dirty on the work site, meet the families whose housing situation you are improving, experience the country like an insider, and do it all alongside a team of like-minded volunteers. No experience required! This build is your next step with Habitat to make the world a better place.
• Experience life in a village, working alongside neighbors and children
• Visit the bustling capital city Addis Ababa, full of jazz clubs and markets
- Friday, day 1: Suggested departure for North American volunteers.
- Saturday, day 2: Arrive in Addis Ababa, and Habitat for Humanity picks you up at the airport. Meet with your team and get acclimated.
- Sunday, day 3: Habitat staff shares about our innovative work in Ethiopia and briefs the team on your project. Travel to the community where you’ll build.
- Monday-Friday, days 4-8: Build on the work site, with free time and cultural activities in the evenings. On Friday, enjoy a closing ceremony with community members, including cultural music and dance.
- Saturday, day 9: Travel back to Addis Ababa to explore the city and enjoy a final dinner.
- Sunday, day 10: Your journey in Africa may continue independently, or you may depart for home.
This cost includes a significant donation to Habitat for Humanity, and it covers the volunteer’s accommodations, meals, in-country transportation and travel medical insurance. Read details.
You may fundraise the program cost, pay it all, or pay some yourself and fundraise the rest. With our help, fundraising with social media and email will be easy. We hope that you will set a goal above program cost. That additional donation will keep Habitat building after your team returns home. Joining this team can be your first step in making Ethiopia a better place to live.
Meals and accommodations
Teams stay at modest but comfortable hotels that serve both Ethiopian and European dishes.
Tasks on the work site
Typical work for a Global Village team may include digging foundations, mixing mortar and concrete, carrying construction materials, tying rebar and other tasks assigned by the expert construction crew.
Contact this team’s leader
Have questions? Ready to join? Karen Sturnick will lead this team in the field and would love to speak with you.
From Karen: “My favorite Global Village memory is always working with the new homeowners. I remember their delight that we have come to assist them in building their new homes right alongside them, and then sitting down and breaking bread with them at the end of our hard work.”