Help develop an intentionally interracial community in Cape Town. Volunteer teams will build new houses, repair houses and construct spaces for pop-up businesses in this exciting project beginning in 2014.
The result will be more than houses—it will be livable communities. Habitat for Humanity’s goals for the multi-year Cape Town project are to spur economic development and reduce gang activity.
Between build days, enjoy cultural activities in one-of-a-kind Cape Town. Options include a tour of Robben Island, where Nelson Mandela was imprisoned before becoming president of South Africa, or Cape Peninsula, which overlooks the point at which the Indian and Atlantic Oceans meet.
Global Village sends volunteers to build with Habitat for Humanity projects across the world. Get your hands dirty on the worksite, meet the families whose housing situation you are improving, experience the country like an insider and do it all alongside a team of like-minded volunteers. No experience required! This build is your next step with Habitat to make the world a better place.
• Build housing as part of a holistic community development project
• Connect with Nelson Mandela’s legacy in Cape Town
- Friday: Suggested departure for North American volunteers.
- Saturday: Arrive in Cape Town and meet with your team. See the city and get acclimated.
- Sunday: Habitat staff will share about our work to develop communities in South Africa.
- Monday-Friday: Build in the community, with free time or cultural activities in the evenings.
- Saturday: Explore Cape Town and enjoy a celebratory dinner with Habitat staff.
- Sunday: After some optional team activities in the city, your journey in Africa may continue independently, or you may depart for home.
Your cost includes an important contribution to Habitat for Humanity that helps fund the project on which you’ll work and keeps us building in more than 70 other countries. For more details about what is included, visit Global Village program cost.
Share your story and keep Habitat building
You’re doing something exciting with Habitat, so tell people about it! Create a page on Share.Habitat to tell friends, family and coworkers about your Global Village trip. Fundraising your program cost will be easy, and any additional funds you raise will keep Habitat building after your team returns home.
Accommodations and food
Teams stay in modest, comfortable hotels in double- or triple-occupancy rooms. Your meals, snacks and water on and off the worksite are included.
Types of work for volunteers
Volunteers work side by side with Habitat partner families under the direction of an expert mason. Tasks may include digging foundations, preparing cement, moving materials, cutting and bending rebar, sanding, painting and cleaning the construction site. Habitat staff will supply full safety training and instruction.
Contact this team’s leader
Have questions? Ready to join the team? Connie McCray will lead this team in the field and would love to speak with you.
Connie’s favorite GV moment: “Seeing the face of a mother with a severe heart disability as she moved her homeless family from a river ravine to a new home with a roof, front door, running water and electricity changed my life in a way that words cannot describe.”