Travel to the town of Bisidimo, where Habitat for Humanity Ethiopia is helping to turn around a neighborhood. Your team will build healthy housing for families whose cracked walls and leaking roofs are causing vulnerable families to get sick.
Our Ethiopian staff will host you in nearby Harar, home to some of the best coffee in the world. We’ll help you explore the region and experience authentic local culture. You’ll also meet lots of the neighbors and their kids whose homes and community you are helping improve.
Global Village sends volunteers to build with Habitat for Humanity projects across the world. Get your hands dirty on the worksite, meet the families whose housing situation you are improving, experience the country like an insider and do it all alongside a team of like-minded volunteers. No experience is required! This build is your next step with Habitat to make the world a better place.
Meals and accommodations
Tasks on the work site
- Build housing to improve a neighborhood’s health and opportunities.
- Address an urgent need by helping families with disabled members.
- Experience rural Ethiopia, home to some of the world’s best coffee and most fertile farmland.
- Day 1: Suggested departure for North American volunteers.
- Day 2: Arrive in Addis Ababa, and Habitat picks you up at the airport. Meet your team for activities at the hotel.
- Day 3: Habitat staff shares about our innovative work in Ethiopia and briefs the team on your project, then travel to Bisidimo.
- Days 4-8: Build on the work site, with free time and cultural activities each evening. Enjoy a closing ceremony with community members, including cultural music and dance.
- Day 9: Travel back to Addis Ababa and explore Ethiopia’s capitol.
- Day 10: Continue your journey in Africa independently or depart for home.
Habitat for Humanity prepares travel arrangements inside Ethiopia, including accommodations, meals, transportation and insurance. Your cost includes an important donation to Habitat for Humanity so that we can continue building safe, decent housing after you return home. For more details about what is included, visit Global Village program cost.
Share your story
You’re doing something exciting with Habitat, so tell people about it! Create a page on Share.Habitat to tell friends, family and coworkers about your Global Village trip. Share photos and videos, even updates from the field. It’s a great way to raise support for your trip costs, and anything extra goes as donations to build Habitat’s impact! Together we can improve shelter conditions and end poverty housing.
Contact this team’s leader
Have questions? Ready to join? Jennifer Hellmuth will lead this team in the field and would love to speak with you.
Jennifer’s favorite GV story: “My favorite Global Village memories always come from the farewell ceremonies when the volunteers, families and Habitat employees come together to reflect on their time together and realize the impact everyone has had on one another. You understand your place in the world a little bit better and gain a deeper understanding of the world at large and true multiculturalism.”