Lesotho: Orphans and Vulnerable Children Project
Travel to Lesotho, a small country in the middle of South Africa, where you can partner with Habitat for Humanity to build opportunity, stability and potential for a family of orphans and their caretaker.
Habitat for Humanity’s Orphans and Vulnerable Children Project is our response to the AIDS/HIV crisis in Africa. After your team builds a simple house, our staff will provide the children with health education, legal assistance and support to ensure that this solution is a long-term improvement.
This trip includes time for you to reflect, relax and be inspired by volunteers who are a lot like you. In addition to building in the community, Habitat staff will show you around Lesotho so that you experience life in southern Africa.
Global Village sends volunteers to build with Habitat for Humanity projects across the world. Get your hands dirty on the worksite, meet the families whose housing situation you are improving, experience the country like an insider and do it all alongside a team of like-minded volunteers. No experience required! This build is your next step with Habitat to make the world a better place.
This cost includes accommodations, meals, in-country transportation and medical insurance, as well as an important donation to Habitat for Humanity so that we can build decent housing. For more details, visit Global Village program cost.
· Build a house for orphaned children and their caretaker, giving them opportunity, stability and potential.
· Partner with a community to meet their urgent needs in one of the smallest and most unique nations in Africa.
- Day 1, Friday: Depart from North America.
- Day 2, Saturday: Most flights will require a full day for travel.
- Day 3, Sunday: Arrive in Maseru, Lesotho, where Habitat picks you up at the airport. Meet up with your team and explore the city. Habitat staff will brief your team on their work improving communities in Lesotho.
- Days 4-7, Monday-Thursday: Build, with free time and team activities in the evenings.
- Day 8, Friday: Build then enjoy a dedication ceremony with your partner families and neighbors.
- Day 9, Saturday: Enjoy local cultural activities and free time. Celebrate over dinner with Habitat Lesotho staff.
- Day 10, Sunday: Your journey in Africa may continue independently, or you may depart for home.
The team will stay at a modest, comfortable lodge or guesthouse in double-occupancy rooms. Each room will be equipped with a private bathroom.
Tasks on the work site
Volunteers may mix mortar, move bricks, install windows and doors, pour cement floors, plaster walls and other tasks as assigned by the construction supervisor.
Share your story and keep Habitat building
You’re doing something exciting with Habitat, so tell people about it! Create a page on Share.Habitat to tell friends, family and coworkers about your Global Village trip. Fundraising your program cost will be easy, and any additional funds you raise will keep Habitat building after your team returns home.
Contact this team’s leader
Have questions? Ready to join the team? Kelly White will lead this team in the field and would love to speak with you.
Kelly’s favorite GV memory: “My favorite Global Village memory actually happens every build. When the families we are building for and the team members cross the line from being strangers to becoming a family of sorts—working together, laughing, sharing time and an experience that neither will ever forget—for me this is what makes the build so amazing.”