AL, Montgomery - Executive Director
Habitat for Humanity International is a non-profit, ecumenical Christian housing ministry. The purpose and goal of Habitat for Humanity International is to eliminate poverty housing and homelessness from the world, and to make decent shelter a matter of conscience and action. Habitat invites people of all backgrounds, races and religions to build houses in partnership with families in need.
Habitat for Humanity has an Operational Headquarters in Americus, Georgia and an Administrative Headquarters in Atlanta, Georgia, and is a global, non-profit ministry where our employees build futures and lives.
Montgomery Habitat for Humanity is seeking a dynamic, growth-oriented executive director to continue to execute its commitment to providing affordable home ownership opportunities for low-income families in Montgomery, Alabama.
Montgomery Habitat for Humanity, an affiliate of Habitat for Humanity International, seeks to put God’s love into action by bringing people together to build homes, communities and hope. Since 1987, the affiliate has partnered with more than 75 low-income families to help them build and own decent, affordable homes. In recent years, Montgomery Habitat has strategically expanded its operations with the addition of the Habitat ReStore located at 2216 E. South Boulevard. The ReStore home discount store has grown to $1 million in annual revenue. Montgomery Habitat for Humanity is poised for additional growth with a committed board of directors and a strong vision for the future.
Responsible to: Board of directors
Staff reporting to executive director: Director of finance and administration, construction director, director of ReStore operations and office manager
Organizational and leadership responsibilities
- Manage overall operations, including resource development, financial monitoring and reporting, staff supervision, marketing and community outreach.
- With the board of directors, continue to develop a vision and policies to guide the organization.
- Work in close cooperation with the board of directors and staff on governance, budgeting, board development, volunteer management, family selection, fundraising and all matters affecting the affiliate.
- Work and interface with Habitat for Humanity International to ensure affiliate is complying with policies and procedures.
- Develop new community partnerships and manage existing alliances.
- Supervise the four primary divisions of Montgomery Habitat for Humanity (administration, ReStore operations, humanity and construction).
- Develop an operational plan to achieve the goal of expanding the organization’s building capacity.
- Work with the finance committee to develop realistic strategies for sustainability and viability of the organization.
- Identify new opportunities for land acquisition and future projects.
- Coordinate with city and county staff as needed to ensure that building projects meet various affordable housing guidelines and grant restrictions.
- Work with board and staff to develop budgets ensuring that affiliate is maintaining a sustainable model.
- Supervise publication of written marketing materials, newsletters and website content/maintenance.
- Manage family services to existing Habitat homeowners and supervise family selection process.
- Cultivate and support relationships with volunteer base, ensuring that volunteers are recognized and acknowledged for their contributions.
- Monitor work projects and relationships with consultants who provide services to the affiliate.
- Work with the board to establish goals for increasing incoming capital through grants, fundraising events, capital campaigns and other innovative methods.
- Develop and cultivate strong relationships with donors and community members and organizations.
- Organize fundraising events and partner with other organizations to collectively raise funds.
- Work with the director of finance to ensure Montgomery Habitat for Humanity continues to operate in a fiscally responsible manner and maintains transparency and adequate funding to carry out its work.
- Oversee financial management and reporting, including monthly financial reports to the finance committee, board of directors, preparation of the annual budget and maintain a readiness for independent audits.
- Monitor cash flow, enforcement of financial policies for expenditures, and authorizations and report concerns/discrepancies to the treasurer and the board.
Skills and qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, public policy, accounting, social services or another related field.
- Management experience with responsibility for managing people, budgets and plans.
- Ability to work and collaborate effectively with a variety of different parties (e.g. board of directors, volunteers, Habitat families, donors, governmental and community organizations, staff, etc.).
- Strong verbal, written and current technology communication skills.
- Physical capability to participate in all aspects of a Habitat affiliate.
- Experience with and/or knowledge of a Habitat for Humanity affiliate.
- Knowledge of and relationship with local governmental and community leaders.
- Master’s degree and/or certificate in nonprofit management.
- Knowledge and experience in working with volunteers.
- Knowledge of and/or experience with the changing world of nonprofit management (e.g. creating an effective business environment, strategic planning, information technology and planning, fundraising and marketing, etc.)
- In keeping with the principles of Montgomery Habitat, a Christian faith and love for people is desired.
This is a full-time salaried position. The compensation package, including medical allowance, vacation time and a holiday schedule, is competitive and commensurate with experience and education.
Deadline for Applications: November 29, 2013
Submit the following application materials:
- Application for employment (available at www.habitatmontal.org/employment.html)
- Cover letter, to include statements detailing experience and/or accomplishments that will convey your ability to lead the organization
Email all applications to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Attn: Selection Committee” in subject line.