Assoc. Dir. Disaster Risk Reduction & Response (DR³) Field Operations
Habitat for Humanity International (HFHI) is currently seeking a talented individual for the role of Associate Director Disaster Risk Reduction and Response (DR³) Field Operations. Reporting to the Director Disaster Risk Reduction and Response Field Operations, this position is responsible for building capacity of HFH entities to design and implement disaster response programs and support them with implementation as needed.
This position will work closely with Headquarters and our Regional Area Office staff to conduct assessments in support of conceptualization and design of Disaster Risk Reduction and Response (DR³) programs, with milestones and measurable outcomes. This position will be based in Slough, UK. Which is 20 miles west of central London.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Serves as part of HFH's DR³ Roster, providing surge capacity when needed and often on short notice.
- Provides direction, leadership and backstop support for the development, oversight and management of DR³ programs.
- Supports implementation, monitoring and evaluation of DR³ programs ensuring quality delivery against global standards.
- Demonstrates superior analytical skills and makes difficult decisions in challenging environments.
- Facilitates communication and information-sharing with others at HQs and field staff on program development and monitoring.
- Designs, promotes, facilitates and participates in DR³ training activities to increase capacity of HFH entities.
- Provides monitoring of natural and man-made threats affecting HFH entities worldwide.
- Research, identify and disseminate disaster response promising practices and internationally-accepted standards throughout the HFH community.
- Facilitates communication and information-sharing with HQ and field staff on program development and monitoring based on industry best practices.
- Contributes to research activities around shelter and settlements humanitarian response, in collaboration with peer organizations and academic institutions (studenships and fellowships).
- Serves as a Content Manager within the DR³ publishing group in support of MyHabitat.
- Contributes to the development/updating of global protocols and procedures and provides inputs for institutional policy-making.
- Engage and connect HFH to peer agencies and networks, authorities and the DR³ donor community
- Supports collaborative resource development in support of DR³ programs on a global level with particular emphasis on European donors (DFID, ECHO, etc.).
- Provides representation for DR³ program and HFH where appropriate, effectively interacting with programmatic peers and donors (i.e. cluster system, humanitarian & relief networks, international shelter conferences, forums and symposiums, etc.).
- Engages in the development of industry-wide position papers, best practice documents and standards on behalf of the organization.
- Serves as seconded resource to the IASC-UN Emergency Shelter Cluster when needed and appropriate.
- BA Degree
- 10 plus years of relevent experience in disaster risk management
- Formal training in disaster risk management required.
- Knowledge and successful track record in development and execution of large, complext projects.
- Analytical skills and ability to delegate and encourage.
- Ability to network and form partnerships/alliances with organizations outside of HFHI.
- Knowledge of global humanitarian standards and accountability mechanisms
- Ability to create/develop new standard operating procedures (SOPs) for disaster response programs.
- Knowledge and experience in disaster response programming.
- Strong leadership, planning, organizational and diplomatic skills required.
- Ability to maintain cross-cultural sensitivity.
- Ability to travel and deploy for extensive periods of time and operate in diverse, challenging cultural settings.
- Computer literate and knowledge of satellite phones, GPS systems and VHF/HF radio communication.
- Fluency in other language additional to English desired.
If you have the expertise to make a significant difference to our organisation we would be delighted to hear from you.
|About Habitat: |
Habitat for Humanity International is a non-profit, ecumenical Christian housing ministry. The purpose and goal of Habitat for Humanity International is to eliminate poverty housing and homelessness from the world, and to make decent shelter a matter of conscience and action. Habitat invites people of all backgrounds, races and religions to build houses in partnership with families in need. Habitat for Humanity has an Administrative Headquarters based in Atlanta, an Operational Headquarters based in Americus, Georgia, and Area Office bases of operations in Manila, Philippines for our Asia and Pacific work, San Jose, Costa Rica for our Latin American and Caribbean work and Bratislava, Slovakia for our Europe, the Middle East and Africa work.
HFHI is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best qualified personnel for all our positions in a manner that does not unlawfully discriminate against any person because of race, color, religion, gender, marital status, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, veteran/reserve national guard status, or any other status or characteristic protected by law.
|Location:||Slough, a suburb of London|
|Region:||Europe, the Middle East & Africa|
|Job Position Type:||International Employment|
|Job Function:||Disaster Response|
|Job Position Category:||In-Country National|
|Auto Req ID:||201BR|