FL, Fort Lauderdale - Development Director
Habitat for Humanity International is a non-profit, ecumenical Christian housing ministry. The purpose and goal of Habitat for Humanity International is to eliminate poverty housing and homelessness from the world, and to make decent shelter a matter of conscience and action. Habitat invites people of all backgrounds, races and religions to build houses in partnership with families in need.
Habitat for Humanity has an Operational Headquarters in Americus, Georgia and an Administrative Headquarters in Atlanta, Georgia, and is a global, non-profit ministry where our employees build futures and lives.
Job status: Full time
Company: Habitat for Humanity of Broward/Fort Lauderdale, Florida
The position is charged with developing, implementing and evaluating funding strategies for general operating gifts and home sponsorships.
Experience and attributes:
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Five to seven years of relevant development experience in nonprofit organizations or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Experience and contacts in the south Florida community a must.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
- Strong proofreading and editing skills a must.
- Ability to plan, organize and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- A self-starter, with the ability to meet deadlines and schedules.
- Knowledge and experience in Raiser’s Edge preferred.
- High competency using Microsoft Office.
In addition, candidates for the position should have:
- Advanced knowledge of fund development theories, principles and procedures.
- Strong cultivation skills.
- Must enjoy meeting new people and building relationships.
- Must not be afraid to meet directly with donor and donor prospects and make face-to-face requests for resources and financial support.
- Effective skills for planning and executing special events.
- Plan, manage and evaluate all aspects of annual fund.
- Meet annual unrestricted and program-restricted fundraising goals.
- Work with executive director to develop and implement a comprehensive written fund development plan with strategies for donors and prospects in each constituent group including: individuals, faith groups, organizations, corporations, etc., in order to meet annual fundraising goals.
- Project and manage fund development expenses.
- Work with development associate and finance manager to track all donation revenue.
- Donor cultivation and stewardship.
- Maintain donor interest and motivate donors to renew or increase their level of involvement by developing cultivation strategies for each constituent group.
- Ensure appropriate stewardship of gifts via acknowledgment letters, phone calls, gift policies and adherence to donor bill of rights.
- Work with grant administrator to make sure that grant applications and reports are submitted in a timely manner.
Prospect identification and solicitation
- Work with development associate to conduct research to determine best prospects with closest links, aligned interests and greatest ability.
- Coordinate strategies with affiliate staff who are working with the same constituents (e.g. capital campaign, homeowner recruitment, etc.)
- Build and maintain relationships with major donors of all types, develop strategies for solicitation, and solicit or coordinate the solicitation by other affiliate staff or volunteers, as appropriate.
- Determine mailing schedule and expand recipient list for newsletters.
- Work with development dssociate to write copy for all direct mail solicitations, brochures, sponsorship materials and acknowledgement letters.
- Provide input to other staff as needed (i.e. grant administrator re: annual report, development associate re: weekly e-newsletter, etc.)
Hours and benefits:
- Average 40 hours per week, may vary seasonally.
- Work outside normal business hours is expected.
- Excellent health insurance provided by employer.
Please send resume, references and related work experience to Perry Ecton, email@example.com, or you can mail or drop off a hard copy Attn-development director position, Habitat for Humanity of Broward, 3564 N Ocean Blvd, Ft Lauderdale FL 33308.
Habitat Broward is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration of employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or national origin.