MD, Gaithersburg - Director of Community Engagement
Habitat for Humanity International is a non-profit, ecumenical Christian housing ministry. The purpose and goal of Habitat for Humanity International is to eliminate poverty housing and homelessness from the world, and to make decent shelter a matter of conscience and action. Habitat invites people of all backgrounds, races and religions to build houses in partnership with families in need.
Habitat for Humanity has an Operational Headquarters in Americus, Georgia and an Administrative Headquarters in Atlanta, Georgia, and is a global, non-profit ministry where our employees build futures and lives.
The director of community engagement is responsible for community outreach and the development of relationships that advance the mission of Habitat for Humanity Metro Maryland, Inc., including the Neighborhood Revitalization Initiative.
As a key member of the leadership team, the director of community engagement exercises discretion and independent judgment with respect to matters of significance relative to the management and operation of HFHMM including responsibility for overseeing a comprehensive volunteer and family services program that meets the needs of the affiliate.
- Promote HFHMM in the community to recruit community partners and long-term volunteers and position HFHMM as a premier organization serving low-income families in Montgomery and Prince George’s Counties.
- Develop messages that promote the good work of HFHMM to support partner and volunteer recruitment as well as fundraising needs.
- Develop partnerships with government agencies, nonprofit organizations, faith groups and businesses that support HFHMM’s NRI program including new construction and/or rehabilitation of homes, weatherization, as well as minor and major home repairs.
- Join coalitions and networks that support HFHMM’s mission and vision and attend networking events.
- Promote HFHMM advocacy in the community.
- Complete the annual compliance check and review of all policies and procedures related to volunteer program and family services.
- Develop and administer department budget.
- Oversee department committees, develop committee chairs and hold meetings as necessary to ensure meaningful committee support and involvement with department activities.
- Other duties as assigned.
Family selection and partnership program:
- Monitor family selection and partnership best practices to ensure HFHMM’s program and process are up-to-date and meet the needs of the affiliate and clients.
- Oversee application review process, approve qualified buyers, recommend buyers to the executive committee and ensure that approval and denial notifications go out in a timely manner.
- Provide ongoing support to prevent mortgage defaults in collaboration with deputy director to ensure buyer success.
- Develop successful models for HOA management and provide ongoing support.
- Work with HFHMM senior leadership on project feasibility, including but not limited to; affordability analysis, subsidy retention/recapture and site selection/evaluation.
- Trouble shoots buyer/ owners crisis management.
- Administer AmeriCorps program including but not limited to grant management, compliance, member recruitment, training and support.
- Recruit quality community partners and manage relationships.
- Recruit long-term volunteers based upon the communicated needs of the organization.
- Administer annual department volunteer assessments.
- Oversee volunteer recruitment, retention and recognition plan.
- Bachelor’s degree in liberal arts or related discipline.
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel, Outlook and Internet.
- Excellent organizational and planning skill as evidenced by experience in project development and execution.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Must be able to work independently.
- Passion for working with individuals of diverse populations as evidenced by experience with various ethnicities, religions, economic status and LGBT communities.
- Experience in supervision of individuals and/or teams for a minimum of one year full time.
- High level of public relations service skills as evidenced by three years of experience with internal and external customers.
- Experience in concurrent management of projects and people as evidenced by at least one year of middle-management activity.
- Ability to prioritize and triage duties.
- Ability to manage time and labor with minimal supervision as evidenced by at least one year of experience as a coordinator or developer of high-function projects and/or people.
- Must be able to work well with volunteers.
- Must be able to work flexible days and hours.
Benefits: Health coverage, 401K plan, paid time off
To apply: Please submit cover letter and resume to Jobs@HabitatMM.org.
Due to a high level of response, not all applicants will receive notification of their application status. No phone calls please.