NC, Raleigh - Construction Superintendent
HABITAT FOR HUMANITY OF WAKE COUNTY (HFHWC)
Location: Habitat for Humanity of Wake County Administrative Office
Supervisor: Director of Construction
The Construction Superintendent (CS) reports directly to the Director of Construction and is responsible for managing the construction and/or rehabilitation of safe, decent, affordable housing in accordance with applicable building codes and to the technical and quality requirements of HFHWC.
The CS is responsible for engaging and managing on-site skilled and unskilled volunteers (groups range from 5-150) and subcontractors to construct or rehabilitate dwellings in a safe work environment, on schedule and within established budgets. This position is responsible for leading the construction process from foundation through warranty and is typically responsible for the construction or rehabilitation of at least six homes per year. Habitat for Humanity's mission is to bring communities together to build houses for qualified candidates. This is accomplished through a variety of ways, none more important than inviting volunteers onto the worksite multiple days each week to form part of the workforce that enables Habitat to frame houses, install siding, install interior doors and other mill work, paint, and a variety of other interior and exterior finishes.
Regular work week is from Tuesday through Saturday.
WORK PERFORMED OR KEY RESPONSIBILITIES (ALL ARE “ESSENTIAL”):
- Supervise and coordinate all aspects of construction on assigned homes including preparing build schedules, ordering materials, scheduling inspections, daily on-site work, advance preparation for work day activities, maintaining a safe and clean work site environment, and overall quality control.
- Meet or exceed all schedule deadlines.
- Meet or exceed all house budget expectations.
- Manage the worksites such that they meet all organizational safety and housekeeping requirements, and all applicable OSHA requirements.
- Supervise and coordinate all work of paid subcontractors, including: scheduling, adherence to building codes and inspections, and overall quality control.
- Train and supervise all on-site volunteers and AmeriCorps members in construction practices, safety, and adherence to Habitat’s guidelines and policies.
- Serve as the main staff representative of HFHWC and its mission to volunteers and the local community. Responsible for ensuring a positive volunteer experience and increasing the retention rate of volunteers.
- Order materials and supplies for each house under construction, including coordination of deliveries and verification of correct purchasing and invoicing.
- Communicate and coordinate as needed with other HFHWC departments such as resource development, finance, volunteer services, and family services.
- Attend related functions as requested such as house dedications, internal planning meetings, regional and national trainings, etc.
- The qualified candidate for this position will possess strong communication skills, ability to teach and lead both small and large groups of volunteers, and have a strong grasp of residential construction industry best practices.
- Successful candidate will have a strong attention to detail and will thrive keeping their job site and material in good order.
- Residential construction knowledge and skill involving all aspects (carpentry, foundations, siding, roofing, skilled trades, finishing, painting, landscaping, etc.) of residential construction both rehabilitation and new construction.
- Knowledge and understanding of North Carolina Building Code, and all other relevant Wake County municipalities’ codes, with ability to interpret and explain to unskilled volunteers.
- Knowledge and understanding of green building concepts, practices and requirements. Familiarity with Advanced Energy/System Vision program and NAHB Green Building Standards.
- Leadership in supervisory role and willingness to take initiative.
- Strong decision making abilities to accomplish tasks quickly and efficiently.
- General business and financial skills to manage projects efficiently within established budgets.
- Excellent oral, written, and illustrative communications skills.
- Awareness of social/community issues (e.g. poverty, affordable housing, etc.).
- Diversity training/experience. Working in an environment with people of varying ethnicities, religions, etc.
- Safety/First Aid training for emergencies on-site.
- Basic technology skills with computers and smartphones.
- Current NC driver’s license.
- Flexibility to work evening and weekend hours as needed for projects and meetings.
- Desire and ability to work with volunteers unskilled in construction to create a rewarding volunteer experience that translates into repeated volunteer activity and increased involvement with Habitat.
- Desire and ability to create, sustain, and grow relationships with Habitat homeowners to instill the skills, knowledge, and pride required for successful homeownership.
- Desire and ability to interpret and support Habitat’s Christian mission to the public.
- High school graduate or GED; a Bachelor’s degree is preferred. Two or more years of experience in the residential construction industry particularly in project management and coordination of multiple sites/projects,. Experience in leading and supervising unskilled volunteers is a must.
- If interested in this position, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
ONLY CANDIDATES WHO FOLLOW THE SPECIFIC INSTRUCTIONS IN THIS JOB ADVERTISEMENT ON HOW TO APPLY FOR THIS JOB WILL BE CONSIDERED.
|Affiliate Name:||Habitat for Humanity of Wake County|
|Location:||Raleigh, North Carolina|
|Job Position Type:||Affiliate|
|Job Function:||US Affiliate|
|Job Position Category:||Affiliate-Opportunity|
|Auto Req ID:||316BR|