We believe … -- Habitat for Humanity Int'l 1
We believe …
The Public Awareness Department in Latin America is a combination of the LA/C area office’s communications functions, as well as its volunteer mobilization functions. The unique combination recognizes the fact that our communications with the public should never end with simply telling someone our story. Our communications should always be geared toward transforming our target audiences into advocates, actively working to eliminate poverty housing.
Many of our most important supporters got their first introduction to Habitat as volunteer. Arguably, those volunteers – even the ones who never again set foot on a Habitat site or never donate resources to our organization – carry with them a newfound understanding of the importance of an adequate home and its impact on a family. Even though we might not see it, those believers continue to positively affect the world for the rest of their lives. That’s what we believe.
According to our department’s manifesto:
- We believe the world can change.
- We believe that adequate housing is a human right, and that by fulfilling that right, we will create the conditions that will lift families out of poverty, and provide individuals with the resources they need to become all that God intends them to be.
- We believe that Habitat for Humanity’s greatest opportunities lie within its volunteers and community members.
- We believe that every Habitat for Humanity volunteer has the potential to radically change the world’s housing situation in ways that we have not yet imagined, and in communities where we have not yet reached.
- We believe that our role within this ministry is to tell the stories of the invisibles; to shine a light into the hovels and homes of the underprivileged; and to inspire others to do what they can to change the situation, according to their own particular context.
- We believe we will succeed.
 According to the New Oxford American Dictionary, “advocate” means “a person who publicly supports or recommends a particular cause or policy.”