The 29th annual Jimmy & Rosalynn Carter Work Project returned to Haiti as part of its two-year effort to strengthen and support Habitat’s work in Haiti.
- President and Mrs. Carter, and a team of volunteers returned Nov. 23-Dec. 1, 2012 for a second year in a row to build homes in Léogâne.
- Léogâne is considered to be the epicenter of the January 2010 earthquake.
- The CWP in Haiti is part of a larger Habitat shelter program to construct desperately-needed housing in Léogâne.
- The shelter program is funded by donors, including the Multilateral Investment Fund of the Inter-American Development Bank.
A World Habitat Day event
The CWP was the culmination of our two-month observance of the need for safe, decent and affordable shelter, and the pivotal role of housing in community development.
Ths observance began on World Habitat Day , Oct. 1.
About Habitat for Humanity Haiti
- At work in Haiti for more than 28 years.
- Provides new home construction, progressive building, home repairs or improvements and land reform advocacy.
- Teaches construction skills, disaster risk reduction and financial literacy.
- Works in coordination with community and government agencies.