Our response to disasters
- Focus on the housing needs that arise from natural disasters and humanitarian emergency conflicts.
- Build capacity of the global Habitat community in the areas of disaster mitigation, preparedness and recovery through education, training and partnerships.
- Use integrated approaches that revolve around sustainable shelter and housing solutions.
- Offer expertise in technical information; program design and implementation; and disaster response policies, protocols and procedures.
- Provide support and informational resources to help communities in disaster-prone areas protect themselves against future threats.
Our approach: Pathways to Permanence
Habitat for Humanity believes that safe, decent shelter provides the platform upon which much of post-disaster assistance is built: health, water, sanitation, livelihoods, safety, education, etc.
To support these crucial processes, the Pathways to Permanence strategy places affected families on a path to durable, permanent shelter solutions using incremental stages as needed, such as erecting an emergency shelter, accessing or affirming land rights, improving a transitional shelter solution, defining next steps for a disaster damaged house or expanding a new core house solution.
Coordination is considered a key element of Habitat for Humanity’s disaster response strategy. With more than 30 years of experience in community-based development, Habitat takes a partnership approach to reconstruction after disasters and holds memberships within National Voluntary Organizations Active in Disasters and InterAction, and coordinates globally through The Inter-Agency Standing Committee cluster system.
- Current and past disaster response 
How we help communities recover and rebuild.
- Disaster risk reduction 
Responding after disasters strike is not enough.
What is disaster relief? 
Find out how Habitat and other organizations help families prepare, respond and recover after a disaster strikes.
- E-newsletters 
Subscribe to our email newsletters and say up-to-date with the latest Disaster Response news and volunteer opportunities