We’re excited to invite you to join us on a building adventure in beautiful Alaska, in the city of Anchorage. We will be working with local families to help them obtain decent, affordable housing. There will also be opportunities during the team period to experience some of this part of Alaska’s natural beauty. No experience is necessary to be considered for participation on this team, only a willingness to listen, learn, and work.
Anchorage sits in a geographic bowl, bounded by the Chugach Mountains to the north and east, and by the Cook Inlet to the west and south. With a population of 265,000, it is the largest city in Alaska (41 percent of the state’s population). The majority are Caucasian (approximately 75 percent), with the remaining 25 percent split between Native Alaskans, Asians, Hispanics and African-Americans.
Anchorage is the commercial center of Alaska and in many ways looks like any other major U.S. city, with shopping malls, housing developments and office buildings (primarily oil and government). There are two military bases nearby as well.
In general, team members should plan for a wide variety of weather. It may be 85 degrees and sunny in Anchorage but cold near glaciers, or it may rain frequently and be very cold in the mountains.
About Habitat for Humanity Anchorage
In January 1991, a group of Anchorage residents who believed in helping people help themselves began organizing to establish Habitat for Humanity Anchorage. HFHA officially affiliated with Habitat for Humanity International in June 1992, and works with people who live in substandard conditions, volunteers and donors throughout Anchorage.
Learn more at http://www.hfhanchorage.org .
Types of construction for volunteers
Construction for teams to Anchorage is typically on new homes. Tools and safety equipment are available, and each site is equipped with portable bathroom facilities.
Day 1 (Sunday, August 18): Arrive; greeted at the Anchorage airport by team leader; community welcome dinner and team meeting.
Day 2 (Monday, August 19): Orientation; group activity.
Days 3–6 (Workdays, Tuesday, August 20- Friday, August 23): Breakfast before traveling to work site; work from 8 a.m.–4:30 p.m. with lunch on-site; showers followed by time for team activities. Special events throughout the week: local activities; community dinners.
Days 7–9 (Saturday, August 24- Monday, August 26): Cultural wildlife viewing and hiking in Denali National Park. Optional white water rafting.
Days 10–13(Workdays, Tuesday, August 27–Friday, August 30): Work days, same as above. Farewell and house blessing on Friday afternoon.
Day 14 (Saturday, August 31): Cultural activity; Kenai Fjords wildlife and glacier cruise.
Day 15(Sunday, September 1): Departure day.
Teams stay in local churches with fully equipped kitchens available for teams to prepare meals. There are clean, adequate bathroom facilities at all churches. Showering facilities are available 24 hours a day at a local health club; teams will not be showering at the host church. Twin size air mattresses are provided. Habitat Anchorage has sleeping bags to loan to team members, but most participants choose to bring their own sleeping bags or purchase an inexpensive one in Anchorage.
(For more details about what is included in this cost, visit Global Village program cost .)
Build a better world: Take the Global Village Challenge
Habitat for Humanity International is challenging Global Village volunteers to make an even greater impact on the global issue of poverty housing. We are asking all GV teams to help us raise an additional $1.1 million in the coming year to support Habitat’s building projects worldwide. Take up the challenge! Join us in sharing our story and building a better world!
Kira Schwartz and Anne Dawson will be co-leading this trip to Anchorage. Kira Schwartz is a planning engineer for a large aerospace company in Southern California. She has participated in four GV trips and led her first team to Sri Lanka in 2011. A local Habitat veteran since 1993, this will be Kira’s first trip to Alaska, and she is really excited to share this experience with an amazing team!
Anne Dawson has been to Alaska for a GV build in 2012 and vouches that a build in Alaska is one you should not miss! Having participated in a Carter Work Project and three GV trips, this will be her first time to lead. She can’t wait to share this experience with a phenomenal team! When not traveling for pleasure, she is a senior trade policy advisor for the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Foreign Agricultural Service in Washington, D.C.
Please feel free to contact us at alaska2013_GV14023@yahoo.com . We look forward to answering any questions you may have!