Frequently asked questions
If you are just getting started with HabitatLearns, please review the user instructions (560kb .pdf)  first.
What is HabitatLearns?
HabitatLearns offers online courses to orient and develop new staff and volunteers so that they can help us reach our vision of a world where everyone has a decent place to live.
Who can sign up for HabitatLearns?
Anyone – volunteers, supporters and the public – can sign up to learn about Habitat’s mission, what we do, and how we do it.
How do I get started?
HabitatLearns is available 24/7. Click the link on the left and then select “Sign up for a new account” to create an account and start learning today!
I already had an account on HabitatLearns (between March 2009 and September 2012). Do I need to set up a new account?
No, log into HabitatLearns with the same account and password.
I forgot my username or password. How can I recover it?
For forgotten passwords, click the “Forgot your password?” link under the login prompt. For forgotten login ids, email HabitatLearns@Habitat.org  for assistance. Your login id may be the same as the email address on the account.
Who can set up an account on HabitatLearns?
Anyone can set up an account on HabitatLearns.
I have an account on My.Habitat. Do I need to sign up for a new account on HabitatLearns?
Yes. HabitatLearns requires a separate sign-on. You can manually set your id and password up to match the one you have for My.Habitat.
Why shouldn’t I create a general user account that is shared or use an account that was passed along to me from someone else?
There are several reasons for users to have their own personal accounts in HabitatLearns, as follows:
- Your activity in HabitatLearns will be tracked and saved so that when you enroll in and open courses and then log out of the system, you can return to courses where you left off.
- A history of courses you have completed will be available for your records.
- Course completion certificates will print with your name.
- Any new course that you enroll in will always be the most current version of that course.
- Habitat for Humanity will be able to track actual use of courses and make decisions regarding course selection and maintenance of these courses and of the system.
Is there a cost for these courses?
Although Habitat for Humanity International pays fees for the courses, we do not currently pass these fees along. We do accept donations to help keep these courses available to our staff and volunteers at no cost. Click the Donate button on the HabitatLearns home page to contribute.
What system requirements do I need to run HabitatLearns?
System requirements may vary by course. Here are the minimum system requirements that you should have, but please review the system requirements for each course on the course description page.
- Connection to the internet. While many courses may run on a 56 kbps connection, for best performance, we recommend that you use a hard-wired connection, such as LAN, Cable, or DSL, and not a wireless or dial-up connection. (NOTE: Many wireless routers are 56 kbps and may be slower than a hard-wired connection.)
- A supported web browser. Free supported web browsers are:
- Internet Explorer version 7 or 8. Internet Explorer can be downloaded from this site: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/internet-explorer/downloads/ie-8 
- Mozilla Firefox. Mozilla Firefox can be downloaded from this site: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/ 
- A Flash player. The free Flash player can be downloaded from: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ 
- Popup windows enabled. Search the 'Help' menu of your browser to see how to turn off the popup blocker.
- Cookies enabled. Search the 'Help' menu of your browser to see how to allow or enable cookies.
I received a message “There is a problem with this website’s security certificate” when I select “Sign up for a new account.”
This issue may occur if you are using Windows Internet Explorer. We are working to prevent this error from occurring, however, if you see this message, click “Continue to this website (not recommended).”
What if I need further assistance?
Email us at HabitatLearns@Habitat.org . We will respond during normal U.S. EST business hours.