1977–1983 Timeline: Spreading the Word
- Habitat for Humanity International begins development of national partners to coordinate Habitat work in their own countries.
- The first U.S. Habitat house built outside of Georgia is completed in 1979 in San Antonio, Texas.
- Clive Rainey joins Habitat for Humanity International as its first volunteer.
HFHI is formally incorporated under the laws of the state of Georgia, March 18.
- San Antonio, Texas becomes the first U.S. Habitat affiliate outside of Georgia.
- HFHI headquarters moves from Millard Fuller's law office to a renovated house next door.
The first Habitat house in Americus is built.
Guatemala becomes the first Habitat affiliate in Latin America.
- Habitat celebrates its fifth anniversary with a total of 14 U.S. and seven international affiliates. Houses built: 342.
- HFHI declares the third Sunday in September as the first International Day of Prayer and Action for Human Habitat .
HFHI celebrates its seventh anniversary in Indianapolis, Indiana.