Our United States affiliates tithe millions of dollars each year to serve individuals and families in all corners of the globe.
What is tithe?
- To take 10 percent of what we have been blessed with and give it back to God and back to our ministry.
- Through our Tithe program, local Habitat affiliates are not only eliminating poverty housing from their own communities, but also eliminating poverty housing in communities around the world.
Why do we tithe?
- The decision is based on our biblical roots as an ecumenical Christian ministry.
- Tithing within Habitat — a global organization that seeks to eliminate poverty housing and homelessness from the face of the earth — ensures that funding reaches the countries that have both a Habitat presence and some of the greatest need.
Tithe then and now
- At a home dedication in Zaire in 1979, our founder, Millard Fuller, received the first $200 tithe, which he used to help launch a new Habitat affiliate in Aguacatan, Guatemala.
- From that one donation, the entire Habitat tithe program started.
- Today, our United States affiliates tithe millions of dollars each year to serve individuals and families in all corners of the globe.
- One hundred percent of those gifts benefit families outside of the United States.
The tithe award program
Our Tithe program presents two awards to our local affiliates who have reached tithe lifetime giving milestones:
- Sam Mompongo Award
Presented to affiliates that give a lifetime tithe totaling $1,000,000 or more. This is the greatest tithe achievement for an affiliate. Award winners .
- Malachi 3:10 Award
Presented to affiliates who have a lifetime tithe that totals $500,000 and counting. Award winners .
Learn more about tithes