Supervisor: Vice president of resource development
Status: Full-time / exempt
Habitat for Humanity Portland/Metro East is seeking a director of development to create and lead the affiliate’s overall development strategy to realize an annual fundraising goal of $3.5 million. This position works closely with the communications and volunteer services departments to cultivate relationships that lead to an increase of financial resources for the organization. As part of the management team, the director of development will be active in moving the organization’s strategic goals forward and ensuring that funding needs of the organization are met.
- Lead and implement a multi-year fundraising plan that supports the organization’s five-year strategic plan.
- Oversee all major gift work of the organization to include the home sponsorship and in-kind contribution programs.
- Manage portfolio of top tier donors.
- Train and lead six staff members, including CEO, in major gift portfolio work to ensure that all major donors are cultivated, nurtured and treated in a donor-centric fashion.
- Responsible for research and data mining of the annual fund, assigning donors to a portfolio manager.
- Lead donor prospecting through recruiting and supporting high-level volunteer committees to identify and solicit individual and corporate major gift prospects.
- Supervise the foundation and government relations manager to ensure that the affiliate maximizes support from and remains in good standing with government entities, Habitat for Humanity International and private foundations.
- Assist with grant proposals and reports as necessary.
- Work in partnership with Habitat for Humanity International, Habitat for Humanity of Oregon and other affiliates to develop multi-site, regional and national sponsors.
- Support all resource team annual fund and event planning as necessary.
Required skills and experience:
- Seven to 10 years of progressive fundraising experience with at least three years of proven success in major gift work.
- Experience supervising staff.
- Ability to work cross-departmentally to achieve goals.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to interacting with people of all socio-economic backgrounds.
- Excellent public speaking and writing skills.
- Strategic thinking with ability to execute a plan.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field.
- Experience with manipulating data and an understanding of database software.
Preferred skills and experience:
- Proficient in Raiser’s Edge software.
- Successful grant writing experience.
Application packets must include:
- A complete resume, including dates of employment.
- The names and contact information for three references.
- A cover letter including answers to the following questions:
- How have the personal and professional experiences you have had in your life prepared you and directed you to apply for this position?
- How did you hear about this position?
To apply, submit the above information to: firstname.lastname@example.org  with “HFH” in the subject by Friday, Jan. 26, 2013 at 4:00pm.
Note: This job description is intended as a guideline only, and does not limit in any way the duties or responsibilities of any employee. Nothing herein shall be construed as a contract of employment, expressed or implied. All employment is terminable at will, with or without cause. Habitat for Humanity Portland/Metro East is an equal opportunity employer.