Thousands of Youth Ages 5-25 Help Build, Sponsor Habitat Houses Around the World
AMERICUS, Ga., March 5, 2003 -- Tens of thousands of students ages 5-25 are breaking with tradition this year during their spring break and summer vacations by hammering nails and raising walls to help build simple, decent houses around the world through more than seven different Habitat for Humanity International special events.
Youth from around the world help build with Habitat for Humanity during these upcoming events:
* Collegiate Challenge (February - April): Ten thousand students use their spring break to travel across the country to build houses in 200 locations. Collegiate Challenge has raised $7 million over the years to build Habitat houses, including $1 million. Some major build sites include Florida, Georgia, New York and California.
* Beachfest with Luis Palau (March 21 - 23): Beachfest participants will "blitz build" two houses during the week in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
* HabiFest (April 9): International holiday in which students raise awareness of poverty housing on their school campuses around the world. Events may include: shacks on display in public areas and students sleeping in cardboard boxes.
* Youth United Week (April 7 - 12): Youth will raise money and build Habitat houses in their communities. Groups participating include the Boy and Girl Scouts and the Boys and Girls Clubs. Millard Fuller, founder and president of Habitat for Humanity International, will travel to celebrations and events in eight cities.
* S.C. Johnson Youth Leadership Challenge (April 20 - 26): Youth will build three houses in Guanajuato, Mexico.
* National Youth Service Day (April 11 - 13): Millard Fuller, founder and president of Habitat for Humanity International, will speak at Youth United events in Baltimore and Annapolis, Md., and Winchester, Va.
* Summer Youth Blitz (June - August): Teens from various backgrounds build Habitat houses in New Mexico, Tennessee and also in South Africa.
Habitat for Humanity International is an ecumenical Christian ministry dedicated to eliminating poverty housing. Founded by Millard Fuller, along with his wife, Linda, Habitat for Humanity International and its affiliates in more than 3,000 communities in 87 nations have built and sold more than 125,000 homes to partner families with no-profit, zero-interest mortgages. http://www.habitat.org/