Vehicles gain new life by helping build Habitat for Habitat homes
Year-end tips for donating tax-deductible used vehicles to a worthy cause
AMERICUS, Ga. (Dec. 14, 2004) — Vehicles that may not mean a lot to you can make a difference in the lives of families in need by donating them to Habitat for Humanity’s Cars for Homes program.
Donated cars, trucks, boats, motorcycles, RVs and other vehicles are sold and the funds raised help build simple, decent homes in partnership with low-income families. Donors receive an acknowledgement letter for their vehicle donation they may use for tax purposes if they itemize deductions. Vehicle, title and contact information is collected, and upon acceptance of the vehicle, arrangements are made for the vehicle, keys and title to be picked up.
“The Cars for Homes program provides a great opportunity to donate a vehicle as an additional way to help families in your community who are living in substandard conditions and simply need a hand up, not a hand out,” said Barry Kurland, general manager of Habitat for Humanity’s Cars for Homes program.
For information on how you can help eliminate poverty housing and homelessness, and potentially qualify for tax benefits for your vehicle donation, call Habitat for Humanity Cars for Homes at 1-877-277-HFHI (4344) or visit http://www.carsforhomes.org 
Quick tips for donating a vehicle
– Make sure the nonprofit organization is reputable by being familiar with its purpose and work in the community. Check with the local Better Business Bureau or similar organization to see if the nonprofit is in good standing.
– Inquire what percent of the vehicle’s sales go directly to the nonprofit organization. Habitat for Humanity receives between 70 and 85 percent of the total donation (after towing fees, etc.).
– Make sure the tower is licensed and insured and the donated vehicle will be sold through a licensed dealer.
– Sign the vehicle’s title directly to the nonprofit organization or their certified agent.
– Ask the nonprofit organization how funds from the donated vehicle will be used.
About Habitat for Humanity International
Habitat for Humanity International, based in Americus, Ga., is an ecumenical Christian ministry dedicated to eliminating poverty housing. By the end of 2005, Habitat will have built its 200,000th house and more than one million people will be living in Habitat homes they helped build and are buying through no-profit, zero-interest mortgages. www.habitat.org 
About Cars for Homes
Cars for Homes is a Habitat for Humanity program that provides a quick and easy process for accepting car, truck, boat, RV and other vehicle donations and generating funds from them to build homes in partnership with local low-income families in need of decent, affordable shelter. www.carsforhomes.org