AmeriCorps National members enable Habitat affiliates to serve more families.
AmeriCorps National members typically serve directly with volunteers, families and the community.
Members may help build, renovate and repair houses, work in partnership with families to help them apply for housing, or recruit and mobilize Habitat volunteers.
Types of positions
- Community outreach
- Construction crew leadership
- Family services
- Volunteer services
- Deconstruction coordination
Terms of service
- Members complete a 46.5 week term of service or approximately 10.5 months.
- Members must complete a minimum of 1,700 hours.
- Members serve through the end date on their member agreement.
- Our program year typically begins each September.
- Members may serve up to four terms, but are only eligible for two Education Awards.
Skills and experience you will gain
- Leadership skills.
- Work and life skills that translate directly into job experience.
- The satisfaction of making a difference in your community and country.
- The personal satisfaction of accepting challenges and seeing results.
- Teamwork, communication and other essential skills.
- Living allowance up to $12,530 for a full 46.5 weeks of service.
- $5,775 Education Award with a lifetime maximum of two awards. The Segal Education Award is good for seven years from the end of service and can be used to repay qualified student loans or for future education at eligible schools. National members age 55 and older at the time of service may be eligible to transfer the award to certain family members.
- Possible forbearance of qualified student loans. Note that interest continues to accrue. However accrued interest on qualified loans is eligible for payment by the National Service Trust.
- Health plan benefits. Members are eligible to enroll in an Affordable Care Act compliant health plan.
- Personal and sick days. Approximately 10 days total.
- Worker’s compensation.
- Childcare benefits if you qualify. Learn more about our childcare benefits.
- Member Assistance Program offering services such as counseling and financial planning resources.
- Upon completion of your service, you will become a member of the Habitat AmeriCorps Alumni Association. Visit the Habitat AmeriCorps Alumni Association for more information about benefits and opportunities.
Visit the AmeriCorps National website for more information.
Are you an AmeriCorps National alumnus?
Join the Habitat AmeriCorps Alumni community.