Travel accident and sickness insurance coverage
A portion of your trip cost established by Habitat for Humanity covers the cost of insurance coverage.
By paying your trip cost, you will automatically be insured against medical accident; illness; and accidental loss of life, limb, sight, speech or hearing while participating in volunteer activities sponsored and supervised by Habitat for Humanity. This mandatory insurance coverage is designed to protect Habitat’s Global Village trip volunteers and is part of a comprehensive risk management program.
This plan of insurance is underwritten by ACE American Insurance Company. This page is a brief description of benefits available under the insurance plan. It is not a contract of insurance. The terms and conditions of coverage are set forth in the policy on file with Habitat for Humanity International under policy number GLM N10784177 and PTP N11207522.
Coverage for volunteers
This information provides you with a brief outline of the services available to you. These services are not insured benefits. Reimbursement for any service expenses is limited to the terms and conditions of the policy under which you are insured. You may be required to pay for services not covered.
A third-party vendor may provide services to you. Europ Assistance makes every effort to refer you to appropriate medical and other service providers. It is not responsible for the quality or results of service provided by independent providers. In all cases, the medical provider, facility, legal counsel or other professional service provider suggested by Europ Assistance is not an employee or agent of Europ Assistance, and the choice of provider is yours alone. Europ Assistance assumes no liability for the services provided to you under this arrangement, nor is it liable for any negligence or other wrongful acts or omissions of any of the legal or health care professionals providing services to you. Travel assistance services are not available if your coverage under the policy is not in effect.
Specifications, provisions and exclusions
Coverage is sold on a per-day basis, commences at the actual start of the published itinerary and terminates at the end of the published itinerary.
The policy does not cover loss caused by or resulting from any of the following:
- Intentionally self-inflicted injury; suicide or attempted suicide.
- War or any act of war, whether declared or not.
- Piloting or serving as a crewmember in any aircraft (unless otherwise provided in the policy).
- Commission of, or attempt to commit, a felony.
- Sickness, disease, bodily or mental infirmity, bacterial or viral infection, or medical or surgical treatment thereof, except for any bacterial infection resulting from an accidental external cut or wound or accidental ingestion of contaminated food (applicable to accident benefits only).
- The covered person being legally intoxicated as determined according to the laws of the jurisdiction in which the injury occurred.
- Injury or loss contributed to the use of any drug or narcotic, except as prescribed by a doctor.
- Injury caused by or resulting from recreational travel in or on any off-road motorized vehicle not requiring licensing as a motor vehicle, or a motor vehicle not designed primarily for use on public streets or highways.
- Injury resulting from motorcycling; scuba diving; jet, snow or water skiing; mountain climbing (where ropes or guides are used); sky diving; amateur automobile racing; automobile racing or automobile speed contests; bungee jumping; spelunking; white water rafting; surfing; or parasailing.
- Routine physicals and care of any kind.
- Routine dental care and treatment.
- Routine nursery care.
- Cosmetic surgery, except for reconstructive surgery needed as the result of an injury.
- Eye refractions or eye examinations for the purpose of prescribing corrective lenses or for the fitting thereof; eyeglasses, contact lenses and hearing aids.
- Services, supplies or treatment including any period of hospital confinement which is not recommended, approved and certified as medically necessary and reasonable by a doctor, or expenses which are non-medical in nature.
- Treatment or service provided by a private duty nurse.
- Treatment by any immediate family member or member of the insured’s household. “Immediate family member” means a covered person’s spouse, child, brother, sister, parent, grandparent or in-laws.
- Expenses incurred during travel for purposes of seeking medical care or treatment, or for any other travel that is not in the course of the policyholder’s activity (unless personal deviations are specifically covered).
- Medical expenses for which the covered person would not be responsible to pay for in the absence of the policy, expenses incurred for services provided by any government hospital or agency, or government sponsored-plan for which, and to the extent that, the covered person is eligible for reimbursement.
- Any treatment provided under any mandatory government program or facility set up for treatment without cost to any individual.
- Services or expenses incurred in the covered person’s home country.
- Elective treatment, exams or surgery; elective termination of pregnancy.
- Expenses for services, treatment or surgery deemed to be experimental and which are not recognized and generally accepted medical practices in the United States.
- Expenses payable by any automobile insurance policy without regard to fault.
- Any expense paid or payable by any other valid and collectible group insurance plan.
- Injury or sickness for which benefits are paid or payable under any workers’ compensation or occupational disease law or act, or similar legislation, whether United States federal or foreign law.
For international trips, covered medical expenses incurred for treatment of a pre-existing condition are limited to a maximum of $50,000. “Pre-existing condition” means any injury or illness that was contracted or that manifested itself, or for which treatment or medication was prescribed, before the effective date of this insurance.
Insurance benefits are underwritten by ACE American Insurance Company. The insurance policy includes all of the terms and conditions of coverage. ACE USA is the U.S.-based operating division of the ACE Group of Companies, headed by ACE Ltd. Insurance products and services are provided by ACE Insurance underwriting companies and not by the parent company itself.
Affordable Care Act
This policy provides travel insurance benefits for individuals traveling outside of their home country. This policy does not constitute comprehensive health insurance coverage (often referred to as major medical coverage) and does not satisfy a person’s individual obligation to secure the requirement of minimum essential coverage under the Affordable Care Act. For more information about the ACA, please refer to www.HealthCare.gov.