AmeriCorps National members engage directly with Habitat volunteers, homeowner families and community members to build and repair homes. They make a needed impact in one of five areas: construction, family services, volunteer services, community outreach or deconstruction.
Our terms of service
You will complete a term of service lasting 46.5 weeks or approximately 10.5 months. You will serve through your end date on your member agreement, and you must complete a minimum of 1,700 hours.
Skills and experience you will gain:
- Leadership skills.
- Work and life skills that translate directly into job experience.
- The satisfaction of making a difference in your community and country.
- The personal satisfaction of accepting challenges and seeing results.
- Teamwork, communication and other essential skills.
Our program benefits:
18-19 program year
- Living allowance of up to $13,732 for a full 46.5 weeks of service.
- Education award of $5,920 with a lifetime maximum of two awards. The Segal Education Award is good for seven years from the end of service and can be used to repay your qualified student loans or for your future education at eligible schools. National members age 55 and older at the start of service may be eligible to transfer the award to certain family members.
- Possible forbearance of your qualified student loan. Note that your interest will continue to accrue. However, your accrued interest on your qualified loan is eligible for payment by the National Service Trust.
- Health plan benefits. You are eligible to enroll in an Affordable Care Act compliant health plan.
- Personal and sick days. You will have approximately 10 days total.
- Worker’s compensation.
- Childcare benefits, if you qualify.
- Member Assistance Program, which offers services such as counseling and financial planning resources.
- Upon completion of your service, you become a member of our Habitat AmeriCorps alumni network.