AmeriCorps National members engage directly with Habitat volunteers, homeowner families and community members to build and repair homes. They make a needed impact in one of five areas: construction, family services, volunteer services, community outreach or deconstruction.
Our terms of service
You will complete a term of service lasting 46.5 weeks or approximately 10.5 months. You will serve through your end date on your member agreement, and you must complete a minimum of 1,700 hours.
Skills and experience you will gain:
- Leadership skills.
- Work and life skills that translate directly into job experience.
- The satisfaction of making a difference in your community and country.
- The personal satisfaction of accepting challenges and seeing results.
- Teamwork, communication and other essential skills.
Our program benefits:
- Living allowance of up to $13,732 for a full 46.5 weeks of service.
- You will receive a $5,920 Education Award with a lifetime maximum of two awards. The Segal Education Award is good for seven years from the end of service and can be used to repay your qualified student loans or for your future education at eligible schools. If you are 55 or older at the time of service, you may be eligible to transfer the award to certain family members.
- Possible forbearance of your qualified student loan. Note that your interest will continue to accrue. However, your accrued interest on your qualified loan is eligible for payment by the National Service Trust.
- Health plan benefits. You are eligible to enroll in an Affordable Care Act compliant health plan.
- Personal and sick days. You will have approximately 10 days total.
- Worker’s compensation.
- Childcare benefits if you qualify. You can learn more about our childcare benefits.
- You will have access to Member Assistance Program offering services such as counseling and financial planning resources.
Are you an AmeriCorps National alumnus?
If you are an AmeriCorps National alumnus, you can join the Habitat AmeriCorps Alumni Association.