You can help our local Habitat affiliates serve more families by becoming an AmeriCorps National member.
As an AmeriCorps National member, you will typically serve directly with volunteers, families and the community. You may help build, renovate and repair houses, work in partnership with families to help them apply for housing, or recruit and mobilize Habitat volunteers.
The types of positions we offer include: community outreach, construction crew leadership, family services, volunteer services and deconstruction coordination.
Our terms of service
You will complete a term of service lasting 46.5 weeks or approximately 10.5 months. You will serve through your end date on your member agreement and you must complete a minimum of 1,700 hours.
Our program year typically begins each September. You may serve up to four terms, but you are only eligible for two Education Awards.
Skills and experience you will gain:
- Leadership skills.
- Work and life skills that translate directly into job experience.
- The satisfaction of making a difference in your community and country.
- The personal satisfaction of accepting challenges and seeing results.
- Teamwork, communication and other essential skills.
Our program benefits:
- You will receive a living allowance of up to $12,530 for a full 46.5 weeks of service.
- You will receive a $5,775 Education Award with a lifetime maximum of two awards. The Segal Education Award is good for seven years from the end of service. It can be used to repay your qualified student loans or for your future education at eligible schools. If you are 55 or older at the time of service, you may be eligible to transfer the award to certain family members.
- Possible forbearance of your qualified student loan. Note that your interest will continue to accrue. However, your accrued interest on your qualified loan is eligible for payment by the National Service Trust.
- Health plan benefits. You are eligible to enroll in an Affordable Care Act compliant health plan.
- Personal and sick days. You will have approximately 10 days total.
- Worker’s compensation.
- Childcare benefits if you qualify. You can learn more about our childcare benefits.
- You will have access to Member Assistance Program offering services such as counseling and financial planning resources.
- Upon completion of your service, you will become a member of the Habitat AmeriCorps Alumni Association. You can visit the Habitat AmeriCorps Alumni Association for more information about benefits and opportunities.
You can search all open positions
If you would like more information, you can visit the AmeriCorps National website.
Are you an AmeriCorps National alumnus?
If you are an AmeriCorps National alumnus, you can join the Habitat AmeriCorps Alumni community.