Habitat AmeriCorps VISTA
You can assist families that partner with Habitat for Humanity by becoming a Volunteer in Service to America or VISTA. Our Habitat VISTA program taps your skills, talents and passions to support community efforts to build strong and stable homes in communities throughout the U.S.
As a Habitat VISTA member, you may focus on indirect service activities like generating resources, encouraging and organizing volunteer service and developing procedures and programs to improve capacity building efforts.
The types of positions we offer include: construction systems, family services, project development, resource development, ReStore development, veterans’ engagement and outreach and volunteer engagement.
Our terms of service
As a VISTA member, you will serve a one year term. You will typically serve about 40 hours every week. Some weeks may require you to serve more hours.
Skills and experience you will gain:
- The satisfaction of making a difference in your community and country.
- Work and life skills that translate directly into job experience.
- The personal satisfaction of accepting challenges and seeing your results.
- Teamwork, communication and other essential skills.
Our program benefits:
- You will receive a monthly living allowance ranging from $990 to $1,720. Note that this is determined by your service location and is subject to change. Most locations are on the lower end of this range.
- You will receive a $5,815 Education Award with a lifetime maximum of two awards or end-of-service stipend of $1,500 after your successful completion of service. The Segal Education Award is good for seven years from your completion of service and it can be used to repay your qualified student loans or for your future education at eligible schools.
- Possible forbearance of your qualified student loans. Note that your interest will continue to accrue. However, accrued interest on your qualified loan is eligible for payment by the National Service Trust.
- Health plan benefits. Our plan is not insurance and does not meet the requirements of the Affordable Care Act. If you are not legally exempt from maintaining health care coverage, you are expected to have primary health care coverage outside of VISTA. Our plan benefits provide support to existing coverage to supplement some of the out-of-pocket, non-premium, costs of a plan that is secured on your own. You can learn more about VISTA healthcare options.
- 10 personal and 10 sick days.
- Childcare benefits if you qualify. You can learn more about our childcare benefits.
- Non-competitive hiring status for federal government jobs for one year after your service.
- While in service as a VISTA, you may have outside employment or attend school only with the authorization of your host site. Employment or school hours cannot conflict with your full-time service schedule.
- Upon completion of your service, you will become a member of the Habitat AmeriCorps Alumni Association. You can visit the Habitat AmeriCorps Alumni Association for more information about benefits and opportunities.
Are you a Habitat VISTA alumnus?
If you're a Habitat VISTA alumnus, you can join our Habitat AmeriCorps Alumni Community!