Habitat AmeriCorps VISTA
AmeriCorps VISTA members leverage human, financial and material resources to build long-term solutions to poverty. They make a needed impact in one of six roles: resource development, ReStore development, volunteer development, family services development, construction systems or project development.
Our terms of service
As a VISTA member, you will serve a one-year term. You will typically serve about 40 hours every week. Some weeks may require you to serve more hours.
Skills and experience you will gain:
- The satisfaction of making a difference in your community and country.
- Work and life skills that translate directly into job experience.
- The personal satisfaction of accepting challenges and seeing your results.
- Teamwork, communication and other essential skills.
Our program benefits:
- You will receive a yearly living allowance ranging from $12,311 to $24,100. Note that this is determined by your service location and is subject to change. Most locations are on the lower end of this range.
- You will receive a $5,920 Education Award with a lifetime maximum of two awards or end-of-service stipend of $1,800 after your successful completion of service. The Segal Education Award is good for seven years from your completion of service and it can be used to repay your qualified student loans or for your future education at eligible schools.
- Possible forbearance of your qualified student loans. Note that your interest will continue to accrue. However, accrued interest on your qualified loan is eligible for payment by the National Service Trust.
- Health plan benefits. This plan is not insurance and does not meet the requirements of the Affordable Care Act. Members who are not legally exempt from maintaining health care coverage are expected to have primary health coverage outside of VISTA. The plan benefits provide support to existing coverage to supplement some out-of-pocket, nonpremium costs of a plan that is secured on your own.
- 10 personal and 10 sick days.
- Childcare benefits, if you qualify.
- Non-competitive hiring status for federal government jobs for one year after your service.
- Relocation allowance for members relocating more than 50 miles to serve.
Are you a Habitat VISTA alumnus?
If you're a Habitat VISTA alumnus, you can join our Habitat AmeriCorps Alumni Association!