Global Village trip leader resources
As a Global Village team leader, you’ll manage a holistic experience for your team. Your impact is much more than what you accomplish on the build site, your team’s funds invest in the community you’ll be serving in and your volunteers will return home inspired to live differently.
You don’t just help Habitat improve the world – you help your teams reflect and reimagine themselves. Whether you are taking out your first team or your 40th, we’ve gathered resources to help you answer volunteers’ questions and plan a life-changing trip.
- Open team walk-through [PDF] | Closed team walk-through [PDF].
Check out a walk-through of your job from the day you propose the trip to the day you get home:
- Global Village FAQs: Volunteer | Team leader.
- Checklists: Open | Closed | Affiliate | Friends and family.
Stay on track while planning your trip with these checklists based on your team type.
Propose a trip
- Global Village project types and costs.
Review a current list of host countries, their duration and approximate program donation.
- Submit a team proposal.
Each time you’re ready to lead a team, complete a trip proposal.
- Visual proposal timeline flow.
Learn more about what happens behind the scenes once you submit a proposal.
Build your team
- Recruitment quick guide.
Successfully recruit a full team using these tips and tricks from fellow leaders.
- Recruitment messages [DOC].
Expand your recruitment search! Ask your personal network to join or support your team.
- Recruitment flyer [DOC].
Fill in this editable template or use it to inspire your own.
- Expectations conversation questions [PDF].
Ask good questions to prepare interested volunteers for your trip.
- Fundraising quick guide.
Hear from peer team leaders about how they encourage their volunteers to fundraise for the program donation.
- Sample invitation letters: Open teams [DOC] | Closed teams [DOC].
These template letters should be used to invite volunteers to join your trip.
- Roster tool template [XLS].
Keep track of team travel and lodging information in one place.
- Travel advance and expense guidelines.
View travel advance details including what can and cannot be expensed.
- Daily spending tracker.
Print this document to help you keep track of the funds spent while traveling and make accounting for your travel advance easier.
- ORID Reflection Framework [PDF].
A starting point for asking thoughtful questions during your team's reflection times.
- Reflection guide [PDF].
This comprehensive guide provides countless ideas for ways to creatively reflect on the week's experience with your team.
- Reflections quick guide.
Team leaders share their best practices when it comes to reflecting as a team while in country.
- Team dynamics quick guide.
Ensure that your team bonds during the trip with these tips and tricks from fellow leaders.
- File incident reports online or download a PDF version.
We need to hear about any injuries or issues, both big and small, that happen on your trip.
- Emergency management plan.
Refer to this robust document in the event of an incident or accident during your trip.
- Expense report template | Instructions | Walk-through video.
Keep track of your expenses while traveling and successfully complete your expense report when you return home.
Global Village manuals, policies and procedures
- Closed team Memorandum of Understanding [PDF].
Please submit a MOU to email@example.com for every team you lead.
Have an applicant under 18? Find out who can travel with a GV team.
We hope your volunteers won’t have to cancel, but if they do, here’s what they need to know.
- Travel medical insurance coverage.
Our first priority is your safety, so each Global Village volunteer is covered by excellent insurance. Learn what’s included.
- Volunteer Code of Conduct [PDF].
View the Habitat Volunteer Code of Conduct that's signed by each volunteer on their application.
- Team leader manual
A comprehensive walk-through of organizing a Global Village trip.
- In-person training decks: Day 1 | Day 2.
Review the slides for the open team leader recertification training in Fall 2017 and Spring 2018
- Online confirmation webinars: Open | Closed | Affiliate | Friends and family.
Check out an overview of the trip planning process that you’ll review each time you lead a team.
- Volunteer resources.
Find fundraising resources, travel information and other helpful resources for Global Village volunteers.
- Thrivent Builds partnership.
View additional information about the long-time partnership between Global Village and Thrivent Financial as we serve Habitat homeowners around the world.