Experience the Global Village program Big Island style! Learn about the Hawaiian spirit of aloha and their respect for the land.
Trip cost: US$
When you join this volunteer trip, you’ll learn about the Hawaiian spirit of aloha and their respect for the land. Come with an open mind and a readiness to serve.
In addition to building, there is an abundance of fun activities to enjoy during your trip. You can take a trip to Volcanoes National Park, enjoy a hike in Pololu Valley or enjoy some time at the beach.
Program cost: $1970
This cost includes an important donation to Habitat for Humanity so that we can continue building safe, decent housing after you return home. For more details about what is included, visit Global Village program cost.
You may raise the program cost, pay it, or pay some yourself and fundraise the rest. With our help, fundraising with social media and email will be easy. We hope that you will set a goal above program cost. That additional donation will keep Habitat building after your team returns home. Joining this team can be your first step in making this Hawaiian neighborhood a better place to live.
- Saturday: Arrive in Hawaii and meet your team.
- Sunday: Habitat staff will explain about their work in Hawaii. We’ll also have free time for team activities.
- Monday-Friday: Work on the build site all day, followed by dinner and free time in the evenings.
- Saturday: Free time for cultural activities and a farewell dinner.
- Sunday: Your trip to Hawaii may continue independently, or your may depart for home.
Accommodations and food
Teams will stay at a hotel or rented condos that are centrally located to shopping and dining and not far from the build site. Lunches will be provided on the build site and teams can visit local restaurants or prepare meals for dinner.
Types of work for volunteers
A variety of construction tasks await volunteers. Habitat West Hawaii is active in several projects and, depending on the timing, the team could take part in new construction, critical home repairs, Home Preservation, or community projects. Tasks for these projects include:
- Home preservation: Volunteers will prepare the house for painting by power washing and taping off windows, and complete an exterior paint job of the house.
- New construction: Exterior work will involve framing and finish carpentry. Interior tasks include anything from putting in flooring, installing cabinets, etc., depending on the progress of the job site.
- Critical repairs: Volunteers can expect to work on installing new siding, repairing any foundational work, repairing bathroom and kitchen areas, etc.
All work will be done under the direction of a construction supervisor. Tools and safety equipment will be provided by the affiliate.
Contact this team’s leader
Les’ favorite Global Village story: “My favorite Global Village memory is from my trips to Anchorage, Alaska. At the end of our two weeks, every team member had the opportunity to grab a sharpie and write a message, poem, prayer, etc., for the future homeowners on the studs of the homes that we had just been working on.”