Build safe, decent housing with orphans and their caretaker in a rural village in Zambia.
Trip cost: US$
Join this 10-day Global Village trip building with orphans and their caretakers in an immersive community village stay.
- Build safe, decent housing with orphans and their caretaker in a rural village.
- Learn about how Habitat Zambia ensures sustainable solutions by providing housing, health education, legal help and continuing support to the families after your team returns home.
Program cost and contribution: US$2160
You may fundraise your Global Village program cost or donate it. Most volunteers donate a portion themselves and fundraise the rest. We invite you to set a goal over your program cost so that you keep Habitat building even after your team returns home.
We use about half of your program cost to build safe, decent housing, including the solution you’ll build. Contributions from volunteers like you will help Habitat for Humanity serve more than 300,000 families this year. The other half of the program cost covers your expenses during the trip. Review the details.
Your Habitat hosts will show you how they have been eliminating inadequate housing in Zambia since 1984 through its Orphans and Vulnerable Groups housing and water and sanitation initiatives.
- Days 1-2: Traveling. Depart from home and join us in Lusaka, Zambia! Habitat will greet you when you arrive and take you to meet your team.
- Day 3: Orientation. Learn about Habitat’s innovative work and your team’s project. Then you’ll travel to your hosting community and meet your neighbors!
- Days 4-8: Build. The team will clear sites, mix cement and assist the local masons to build a new home. The team will have time for excursions, rest and reflection meetings in the evenings.
- Day 9: Celebration. Build then enjoy a dedication ceremony with your partner families and neighbors. Then the team will travel back to Lusaka and celebrate with Habitat Zambia staff.
- Day 10: Goodbyes. Continue your journey in Zambia independently or head on home.
Meals and accommodations
The team will stay in modest, comfortable hotels in double-occupancy rooms. Lunch will be on the build site, while breakfast and dinner will be at the hotel or local restaurants.
Have a question? Your team leader, Rachel Davidson, would love to tell you more about trip! Email team leader.
Rachel’s favorite Global Village memory: “My favorite memory from a GV build would have to be dancing with the children in Chipulukusu, Zambia. Their joy and enthusiasm is so contagious!”