Trip cost: US$
Experience the beauty and complexity of a Middle Eastern culture within a peaceful nation, and partner with Habitat for Humanity to build housing solutions for families in need.
Habitat Jordan carefully selects a local family to ensure that the house you will work on is a sustainable solution and empowers the family to break the cycle of poverty. During the day, you will work beside local masons and neighbors to build new houses. In your free time, enjoy a visit to an olive farm or textile shop. As cultural immersion experience, you will dine each evening in a different home with families from the community.
Program donation and fundraising
You may fundraise or give the program donation. Fundraising is as easy as telling your friends, family and co-workers about why you build with Habitat for Humanity. They may even ask to join the team! We set you up with a great website and coaching for success.
Consider setting a fundraising goal over the minimum. Every donation you raise keeps Habitat building after your team returns home and helps us serve another family.
- Day 1, Travel: North American volunteers depart.
- Day 2, Arrive: Welcome to Amman, Jordan! Habitat for Humanity will greet you up at the airport and introduce you to your team at dinner.
- Day 3, Orientation and build: Travel to the affiliate community, where Habitat staff will share about our impact in Jordan and brief the team on your project. Then enjoy your first afternoon on the build site.
- Days 4-7, Build and celebrate: Work with local, skilled construction workers. In the evenings, the team will have time for excursions, rest and reflection meetings. On your final day, participate in a dedication ceremony with the future homeowners.
- Day 8, Goodbyes: Continue your journey in the Middle East independently or depart for home.
Meals and accommodations
In Amman teams stay in double-occupancy rooms in a modest, comfortable hotel. Near the work site, the team stays in community spaces with separate communal sleeping for men and women. At dinner, try traditional Jordanian dishes or cook as a group with food you buy at the market.
Tasks on the work site
Tasks include sifting sand, mixing cement, hauling blocks, bricklaying, painting and plastering, and other tasks assigned by the expert construction crew. We use locally available building materials so that the project is economically and ecologically responsible.
We will connect you with a team leader within two business days. The team leader will tell you more about the build and learn about you. After speaking with the team leader, donate or fundraise your deposit to secure your spot on the team. The team leader will help you prepare and lead you during the trip.
Your team leader, Andrea Bishop, would love to tell you more about the trip! Email Andrea at email@example.com.
Andrea says, “There are a million tiny moments that make up each Global Village experience, whether it’s a shy smile from child, a warm hug from a homeowner or seeing a group of volunteers who met for the first time yesterday fall into a seamless rhythm alongside the local construction crew. It’s in those moments, and through the connections you form, that you find yourself fundamentally changed. The staggering statistics on substandard housing aren’t just numbers anymore – they become personal and real. And that’s something that both moves and mobilizes you.”