Trip cost: US$
Join this 10-day Global Village trip building a home in a rural village in Zambia.
- Build homes or work on water and sanitation projects. These healthy housing solutions will drastically improve the living situation for partner families.
- Immerse yourself in the local community. Your team will spend time with locals at a pick-up soccer game, market visits or traditional home-cooked meals.
- See what can be accomplished when volunteers, families and communities come together to build safe, decent housing.
Program donation and fundraising
You may fundraise or give the program donation. Fundraising is as easy as telling your friends, family and co-workers about why you build with Habitat for Humanity. They may even ask to join the team! We set you up with a great website and coaching for success.
Consider setting a fundraising goal over the minimum. Every donation you raise keeps Habitat building after your team returns home and helps us serve another family.
Your Habitat hosts will show you how they have been eliminating inadequate housing in Zambia since 1984 through its Orphans and Vulnerable Groups housing and water and sanitation initiatives.
- Days 1-2: Traveling. Depart from home and join us in Lusaka, Zambia! Habitat will greet you when you arrive and take you to meet your team.
- Day 3: Orientation. Learn about Habitat’s innovative work and your team’s project. Then you’ll travel to your hosting community and meet your neighbors!
- Days 4-8: Build. The team will clear sites, mix cement and assist the local masons to build a new home. The team will have time for excursions, rest and reflection meetings in the evenings.
- Day 9: Celebration. Build then enjoy a dedication ceremony with your partner families and neighbors. Then the team will travel back to Lusaka and celebrate with Habitat Zambia staff.
- Day 10: Goodbyes. Continue your journey in Zambia independently or head on home.
Meals and accommodations
The team will stay in modest, comfortable hotels in double-occupancy rooms. Lunch will be on the build site, while breakfast and dinner will be at the hotel or local restaurants.
Tasks on the work site
Typical work includes mixing mortar and concrete, carrying construction materials, fixing chicken wires, digging foundations, making bricks, carrying water and other tasks as assigned by the expert construction workers.
We will connect you with a team leader within two business days. The team leader will tell you more about the build and learn about you. After speaking with the team leader, donate or fundraise your deposit to secure your spot on the team. The team leader will help you prepare and lead you during the trip.
Have a question?
Your team leader, Emily Fortman, would love to tell you more about the trip! Email Emily at firstname.lastname@example.org.
When reflecting on her Global Village builds, Emily said, “On all 10 of my Habitat trips, my greatest pleasure has been derived from connecting with the children of our partner families. Knowing these children will grow up in safe, decent shelter makes it all worth it.”