Buenos Aires, Argentina
Trip cost: US$2,255
Join this 10-day Global Village trip building seed homes with partner families and volunteering with Habitat’s community partners in Argentina.
- Build a new seed home in an urban community. Through a microfinance program, the family will continue to expand the house after your team returns home.
- Share a mate with partner families and hear their stories. The team will also be staying in the heart of Buenos Aires, so you’ll have time to explore the bustling city.
- Volunteer alongside a community partner on a service project. You’ll see firsthand how Habitat works with local organizations to build holistic solutions beyond the home.
- Experience an immersive and building trip. Your team will learn how Habitat is strengthening the abilities and resources of marginalized communities in Argentina from the national director and staff.
Global Village sends volunteers to build with Habitat for Humanity projects across the world. Get your hands dirty on the work site, meet the families whose housing situation you are improving, experience the country like an insider and do it all alongside a team of like-minded volunteers. No experience is required! This build is your next step with Habitat to make the world a better place.
- Build a seed house for an Argentine family.
- Volunteer with Habitat partners on a community development project.
- Experience the sights, sounds and tastes of Buenos Aires.
Program donation and fundraising
You may fundraise or give the program donation. Fundraising is as easy as telling your friends, family and co-workers about why you build with Habitat for Humanity. They may even ask to join the team! We set you up with a great website and coaching for success.
Champion volunteers set a fundraising goal over the minimum. Every donation you raise keeps Habitat building after your team returns home and helps us serve another family.
- Days 1-2: Traveling. Depart from home and join us in Buenos Aires, Argentina! Habitat will greet you when you arrive and take you to meet your team at your project site.
- Day 3: Exploration. The team will go sightseeing in and around Buenos Aires and sample local cuisine.
- Day 4: Orientation. Learn about Habitat’s innovative work and your team’s project from Habitat Argentina’s national director. The team will start building seed houses in the afternoon.
- Days 5-8: Build. The team will dig the foundation, mix cement and assist the local masons to build a new seed home. The team will have time for excursions, rest and reflection meetings in the evenings.
- Day 9: Community Service. Meet local partners who are meeting the needs of the community we are building in and then team up to work on a community service project. Then we will relax and barbecue with our partner families and Habitat Argentina staff.
- Day 10: Goodbyes. Continue your journey in Argentina independently or head on home.
Meals and accommodations
Teams stay at modest, comfortable hostels. Enjoy typical Argentinian meals prepared by locals, including your partner families.
Tasks on the work site
Typical work for a Global Village team may include digging foundation, framing walls, mixing cement, painting, carrying construction materials and other tasks assigned by the expert construction crew.
After your team leaves
To meet the rising demand of adequate housing in urban and semi-urban areas, Habitat Argentina developed a project that creates innovative housing solutions for partner families and their communities. The Developing Neighborhoods Project identifies families that qualify for a seed house – a sound, foundational structure – and gives them the tools and skills they need to eventually expand the house. Habitat Argentina also facilitates community partnerships to collectively improve community livability. Global Village volunteers have the opportunity to work within the context of Habitat Argentina’s work to help construct a seed house for a family. Learn more about their neighborhood development work.
Apply now! We will connect you with a team leader within two business days. The team leader will tell you more about the build and learn about you. After speaking with the team leader, donate or fundraise your deposit to secure your spot on the team. The team leader will help you prepare and lead you during the trip.
Have a question?
Your team leaders Nari Malkhasayan and Lisa Crotty would love to tell you more about trip! Email Nari at email@example.com.
When asked about previous Global Village experiences, Nari said,“The most memorable moment for me was visiting Doña Sonia’s house on my most recent build in Nicaragua. This was the house I had worked on the year before and it was so touching to see it having become a home in the time that had followed. Doña Sonia’s son came out with a framed picture of my whole team from a year ago, and in that moment I knew that for that one family we truly had made a difference.”
Lisa said, “Dedications are always bittersweet. Turning over the house to the homeowners is a wonderful experience, but it also reminds you that your time in the community is coming to an end. In Xai Xai, Mozambique, the new homeowners stand with candles in the new house while the community and team surround the home with their prayers and good wishes for the family.”