Trip cost: US$2,160
Depart for the archipelago of Fiji! Nature lovers will be drawn to the islands because of the magnificent waterfalls, mountains, rainforests and beautiful beaches.
For many families in Fiji, housing prices are too high which forces them to live without running water, electricity or proper sanitation facilities. Habitat for Humanity Fiji empowers communities to improve their access to basic services and better living conditions. Additionally, Habitat works on projects to enable people with disabilities and has led in the reconstruction efforts after natural disasters. Partner with Habitat for Humanity Fiji to help bring strength, stability and independence to a family in need of a decent place to live.
After volunteering during the day, you will have free time in the evenings for excursions, relaxation and reflection. During your day off, you and your team will hike through the rainforest, discover waterfalls and visit an indigenous society.
Global Village sends volunteers to build with Habitat for Humanity projects across the world. Get your hands dirty on the work site, meet families whose housing situations have been improved with Habitat’s help, experience the country like an insider and do it all alongside a team of like-minded volunteers. No experience is required! This build is your next step with Habitat to make the world a better place.
Program donation and fundraising
You may fundraise or give the program donation. Fundraising is as easy as telling your friends, family and co-workers about why you build with Habitat for Humanity. They may even ask to join the team! We set you up with a great website and coaching for success.
Champion volunteers set a fundraising goal over the minimum. Every donation you raise keeps Habitat building after your team returns home and helps us serve another family.
- Days 1-2, Travel. Recommended departure day and travel time from the United States.
- Day 3, Welcome. Arrive in Nadi where your team leader will greet you and take you to meet your teammates.
- Days 4-8, Orientation and build. Learn about Habitat’s innovative work and your team’s project. Your team will build with local, skilled construction workers. After work, the team will have time for excursions, rest and reflection meetings.
- Days 9-10, Explore. Immerse yourself in the local culture and experience the community firsthand while getting to know your team.
- Days 11-13, Build and celebrate. Continue to work on the build site with excursions and rest time in the evenings. On the final day, enjoy a farewell ceremony and dinner with the families.
- Day 14, Goodbyes. Continue your journey in Fiji independently or return home.
Meals and accommodations
The team will stay in modest, comfortable hotels in double-occupancy rooms. Lunch will be on the build site, while breakfast and dinner will be at the hotel or local restaurants.
Type of work for volunteers
Some of the tasks include moving dirt and bricks, digging for septic tanks, bending rebar, mixing and pouring concrete, and laying block foundation. All tools and construction site materials will be provided by the affiliate, and a professional construction leader will always be present on-site.
We will connect you with a team leader within two business days. The team leader will tell you more about the build and learn about you. After speaking with the team leader, donate or fundraise your deposit to secure your spot on the team. The team leader will help you prepare and lead you during the trip.
Your team leader, Mike Skibinski, will lead this team in the field and would love to speak with you. Email him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
When asked about previous Global Village experiences, Mike said, “My favorite Global Village memory is shooting baskets with a young kid in Mongolia, way out in the country at a ger/yurt camp during our cultural time. The rundown basket was set low and stuck in a patch of dirt off by itself. We took turns shooting and laughed at each other’s funny shots.”