Trip cost: US$2,090
Join this 15-day Global Village trip building new homes in Pondicherry, India.
Partner with Habitat for Humanity India and the local community to build homes and provide housing-related services to low-income, marginalized families. Habitat India works in partnership with local, grassroots, non-governmental organizations, and micro finance institutions throughout India to provide decent housing. Help Habitat to build or improve a place that gives a family strength, stability and independence they need to create a better life for themselves and their family.
During the day, you and your team will learn about the needs of the area, witness the impact of your work, and build alongside members of the Habitat community. In the evenings, you will spend time with your team, enjoy Indian cooking lessons or visit a local market. On your days off, explore ancient palaces, religious temples and national parks.
Global Village sends volunteers to build with Habitat for Humanity projects across the world. Get your hands dirty on the work site, meet families whose housing situations have been improved with Habitat’s help, experience the area like an insider and do it all alongside a team of like-minded volunteers. No experience is required! This build is your next step with Habitat to make the world a better place.
- Help enable communities to improve a place they can call home.
- Explore the ancient temples and palaces.
Program donation and fundraising
You may fundraise or give the program donation. Fundraising is as easy as telling your friends, family and co-workers about why you build with Habitat for Humanity. They may even ask to join the team! We set you up with a great website and coaching for success.
Champion volunteers set a fundraising goal over the minimum. Every donation you raise keeps Habitat building after your team returns home and helps us serve another family.
- Days 1-2 Traveling: Depart from home.
- Day 3 Welcome. Arrive in Chennai where your team leader will greet you and take you to meet your teammates.
- Day 4, Orientation. Learn about Habitat’s innovative work and your team’s project. Travel to Pondicherry.
- Days 5-8 Build. Skilled construction workers will guide you and your team as you build. The team will have time for excursions, rest and reflection meetings in the evenings.
- Days 9-10 Explore. Immerse yourself in the local culture and experience the community firsthand while getting to know your team.
- Days 11-13 Build. Continue your work with time for excursions, rest and reflection meetings in the evenings.
- Day 14, Travel. Return to Chennai.
- Day 15 Goodbyes: Continue your journey in India independently or head on home.
Meals and accommodations
The team will stay in modest, comfortable hotels in double-occupancy rooms. Lunch will be on the build site, while breakfast and dinner will be at the hotel or local restaurants.
Types of work for volunteers
Typical work includes foundation excavation, wall construction, roofing, plastering, floor slab construction and painting. All tools and construction site materials will be provided by the affiliate.
Apply now! We will connect you with a team leader within two business days. The team leader will tell you more about the build and learn about you. After speaking with the team leader, donate or fundraise your deposit to secure your spot on the team. The team leader will help you prepare and lead you during the trip.
Your team leader, Jennifer Isely, would love to tell you more about trip! Email Jennifer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
When asked about previous Global Village experiences, Jennnifer said, “I have learned many things through the years of leading Habitat for Humanity trips, but the biggest thing I learned, is that being grateful comes in all forms! People can have next to nothing in material form and can be the absolute happiest and most grateful people you will meet! Every time I am humbled beyond words.”