Women Build, Delhi, India
Trip cost: US$
Join a dedicated group of volunteers working to empower women and inspire change this International Women’s Day on a Global Village trip in Delhi, India. This trip is a collaboration of Global Village and Women Build, and it is open to women and men who are passionate about women’s issues in India.
- Work side-by-side with women from the community, partnering groups and Habitat staff to build homes for Indian women.
- Learn how Habitat is organizing advocacy programsand working with local organizations in microfinancing, health awareness and other projects to improve the lives of women in Savda Ghevra resettlement colony.
- Take a tour of the Taj Mahal, explore Delhi markets and learn how to make Roti bread or chai tea in an Indian cooking class.
- Spend time with the female homeowners and local community by learning local dances, songs and art forms.
This special trip commemorates Habitat for Humanity India’s annual International Women’s Day Build as a part of its larger slum development project. Hear the women’s stories, build together in partnership, and forge a sisterhood (or brotherhood) that spans geography and culture.
Program donation and fundraising
You may fundraise or give the program donation. Fundraising is as easy as telling your friends, family and co-workers about why you build with Habitat for Humanity. They may even ask to join the team! We set you up with a great website and coaching for success.
Champion volunteers set a fundraising goal over the minimum. Every donation you raise keeps Habitat building after your team returns home and helps us serve another family.
- Day 1, Friday: Departure for North American volunteers.
- Day 2, Saturday: Travel day.
- Day 3, Sunday: Arrive in Delhi, India, where Habitat picks you up from the airport. Habitat staff will share about our innovative work in India and brief the team on the Women Build project.
- Day 4-8, Monday-Friday: Build, with free time and team activities in the evening. Enjoy the closing ceremony on Friday with your partner families and masons. On March 8, celebrate International Women’s Day and partake in inauguration ceremony on your build site.
- Day 9, Saturday: Take a tour of the Taj Mahal and explore the Delhi markets.
- Day 10, Sunday: Continue your journey in India independently or depart for home.
Meals and accommodations
Global Village teams stay in modest, comfortable hotels with double-occupancy rooms. Breakfast and dinner are taken at the hotel most nights, and lunch is served on the work site.
Tasks on the work site
This project will work to build full houses for female homeowners, so typical work could include brick laying, digging and flooring construction, concrete mixing, and white washing and painting. Tasks will be assigned and supervised by expert construction workers.
We will connect you with a team leader within two business days. The team leader will tell you more about the build and learn about you. After speaking with the team leader, donate or fundraise your deposit to secure your spot on the team. The team leader will help you prepare and lead you during the trip.
Katie Graham will lead this team in the field and would love to speak with you. Email Katie at KatieGrahamGV@gmail.com.
When asked about previous Global Village experiences, Katie said "Because of language barriers, our personal communication with our Costa Rican partner family was very limited. I spoke broken Spanish, and my limitations were really starting to get me down. A few days into our build, a bull came charging through our site! Immediately our partner homeowner began throwing mangos at the bull to chase him away from our team. Once she had scared him off, we all stood around looking astonished, then everyone began to laugh. As it turns out, the language barriers didn't matter- laughter is a universal language!"