Winter Blitz | El Salvador
Join this winter blitz build alongside Salvadoran homeowners
Trip cost: US$
Travel to El Salvador and help Habitat for Humanity build homes for families in need of safe, decent and affordable shelter.
As you build, you’ll be welcomed into the community. Learn to make pupusas and try other typical foods, meet the neighbors whose community you’re helping to improve and explore local sites. This trip is a unique opportunity to experience life inside the culture.
Global Village sends volunteers to build with Habitat for Humanity projects across the world. Get your hands dirty on the work site, meet families whose housing situations have been improved with Habitat’s help, experience the country like an insider and do it all alongside a team of like-minded volunteers. No experience is required! This build is your next step with Habitat to make the world a better place.
- Enjoy a week of celebration as you work alongside local partners.
- Learn to make pupusas, typical Salvadoran food, with the partner family.
- Post-build, relax and unwind on the Pacific Coast.
This cost includes a significant donation to Habitat for Humanity, and it covers the volunteer’s accommodations, meals, in-country transportation and travel medical insurance. Read details.
You may raise the program cost, pay it all, or pay some yourself and fundraise the rest. With our help, fundraising with social media and email will be easy. We hope that you will set a goal above program cost. That additional donation will keep Habitat building after your team returns home. Joining this team can be your first step in making El Salvador a better place to live.
- Day 1, Saturday: Arrive at San Salvador airport, where Habitat for Humanity staff welcomes you. Travel to accommodations and meet your team over dinner.
- Day 2, Sunday: Habitat staff will orient you to our work in El Salvador and introduce you to the community in which you’ll work.
- Days 3-7, Monday-Friday: Build on-site, with free time and team activities in the evenings.
- Day 8, Saturday: Enjoy a day immersed in the Salvadoran culture, then a final team dinner.
- Day 9, Sunday: Depart for home, or independently continue your travels.
Meals and accommodations
Teams stay at modest, comfortable hotels with two to three people per room. Enjoy a variety of cuisine prepared by locals.
Tasks on the work site
International volunteers may work in all stages of steel frame home construction. Regardless of what stage the house is in when the team arrives, responsibilities will likely include digging, carrying bricks, mixing cement, compacting dirt, moving materials and painting
Apply now! We will connect you with a team leader within two business days. The team leader will tell you more about the build and learn about you. After speaking with the team leader, donate or fundraise your deposit to secure your spot on the team. The team leader will help you prepare and lead you during the trip.
Contact this team’s leader
Have questions? Ready to join the team? Polly Knudsen will lead this team in the field and would love to speak with you.
Polly says: “My favorite Global Village memory was when the local parish priest in El Salvador came around and personally touched each of us thanking us for our good work and the help to his community. Little did he know we all felt we were gaining as much if not more than we were giving.”