Trip cost: US$1,995
Travel to Dominican Republic and help Habitat for Humanity Dominican Republic build homes for families in need of safe, decent and affordable shelter.
As you build with the family, you’ll be welcomed into the community. Eat traditional food and meet the neighbors whose community you’re helping to improve. This trip is a unique opportunity to experience life inside the culture.
After volunteering during the day, you will have free time in the evenings for excursions, relaxation and reflection. During your day off, you and your team will explore local sights, enjoy a bachata lesson and learn to cook a typical dish.
Global Village sends volunteers to build with Habitat for Humanity projects across the world. Get your hands dirty on the work site, meet the families whose housing situation you are improving, experience the country like an insider and do it all alongside a team of like-minded volunteers. No experience is required! This build is your next step with Habitat to make the world a better place.
Program donation and fundraising
About half of the trip cost is a direct contribution to Habitat’s work, and the rest covers your volunteer experience. You may fundraise or give the program donation. Fundraising is as easy as telling your friends, family and co-workers about why you build with Habitat for Humanity. They may even ask to join the team! We set you up with a great website and coaching for success.
Volunteers are encouraged to set a fundraising goal over the minimum. Every donation you raise keeps Habitat building after your team returns home and helps us serve another family.
- Day 1, Welcome. Arrive at Santo Domingo’s airport where Habitat for Humanity staff will greet you and take you to meet your teammates.
- Day 2, Orientation. Spend the morning exploring Santo Domingo’s historic Colonial Zone. Travel to the host community to learn about Habitat’s innovative work and your team’s project.
- Days 3-7, Build. Skilled construction workers will guide you and your team as you build. The team will have time for excursions, rest and reflection meetings in the evenings. On the final day, enjoy a farewell celebration with the partner family.
- Day 8, Explore. Travel to the beach and lunch seaside as you experience a day of relaxation and fun in the sun with your team.
- Day 9, Goodbyes. Continue your journey independently or return home.
Meals and accommodations
The team will stay in modest, comfortable hotels in double-occupancy rooms. Lunch will be on the build site, while breakfast and dinner will be typical Dominican cuisine at the hotel, local restaurants or prepared by locals.
Tasks on the work site
Some of the tasks include moving dirt and bricks, digging for septic tanks, bending rebar, mixing and pouring concrete, and laying block foundation. All tools and construction site materials will be provided by the affiliate, and a professional construction leader will always be present on-site.
We will connect you with a team leader within two business days. The team leader will tell you more about the build and learn about you. After speaking with the team leader, donate or fundraise your deposit to secure your spot on the team. The team leader will help you prepare and lead you during the trip.
Your team leader, Mike Parker, will lead this team in the field and would love to speak with you. Email Mike at firstname.lastname@example.org.
When asked about previous Global Village experiences, Mike said, “My favorite memories from past Global Village trips are always the house dedication ceremonies when the families receive their new homes. It’s a happy time for partner families to start their new beginnings, but it’s also impactful on the volunteers that helped to make it happen.”