Trinidad and Tobago
Trip cost: US$1,910
Travel to Trinidad and Tobago and help Habitat for Humanity build homes for families in need of safe, decent and affordable shelter.
This team will stay in or near Port of Spain, Trinidad’s bustling capital city. As you build with the family, you’ll be welcomed into the community. Eat traditional food influenced heavily by Indian, African and Creole cuisine, meet the neighbors whose community you’re helping to improve, explore local sights and experience the harmonious cultural diversity of this island nation. This trip is a unique opportunity to experience life inside the culture.
- Experience the melting pot that is Trinidadian culture—people of many nations and creeds living together peacefully and joyfully.
- Attend a performance and try your hand at steel pan.
- Post-build, explore postcard-perfect beaches in Tobago.
Global Village sends volunteers to build with Habitat for Humanity projects across the world. Get your hands dirty on the work site, meet families whose housing situations have been improved with Habitat’s help, experience the country like an insider and do it all alongside a team of like-minded volunteers. No experience is required! This build is your next step with Habitat to make the world a better place.
Program donation and fundraising
You may fundraise or give the program donation. Fundraising is as easy as telling your friends, family and co-workers about why you build with Habitat for Humanity. They may even ask to join the team! We set you up with a great website and coaching for success.
Champion volunteers set a fundraising goal over the minimum. Every donation you raise keeps Habitat building after your team returns home and helps us serve another family.
- Day 1, Traveling: Arrive at Port of Spain airport where your team leader will greet you and take you to meet your teammates over dinner.
- Day 2, Orientation: Habitat staff will orient you to our work in Trinidad and Tobago and introduce you to the community in which you’ll work.
- Days 3-7, Build: Work with local, skilled construction leaders. After work, the team will have time for excursions, rest and reflection meetings.
- Day 8, Explore: Spend the day in Tobago, then enjoy a final team dinner.
- Day 9, Goodbyes: Depart for home or independently continue your travel.
We will connect you with a team leader within two business days. The team leader will tell you more about the build and learn about you. After speaking with the team leader, donate or fundraise your deposit to secure your spot on the team. The team leader will help you prepare and lead you during the trip.
Cathy Martin will lead this team in the field and would love to speak with you. Email Cathy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
When asked about previous Global Village experiences, Cathy said, “My Global Village trip to Hungary was filled with so many wonderful experiences and people, but one of my favorites was Zoe - the adorable 4-year-old whose house we worked on. She did not speak a word of English, but that did not stop her from communicating with us. I happened to bring fingernail polish, and I asked her mom if she thought Zoe would like me to paint her fingernails. She assured me that she would. That afternoon I was up on the scaffolding and I heard a tiny voice yelling up to me "Cah-tee, Cah-tee" and I went over to the edge and saw Zoe looking up at me with a huge grin holding up the fingernail polish. My heart melted.”