Trip cost: US$1,900
Join this nine-day Global Village trip adapting the homes of young people with special needs and their families in Chile.
- Build and adapt the bedrooms of children with special needs. These improvements will ensure that the house meets the necessary requirements for the child to return home from the hospital and recover with their families.
- Stay in the vibrant city of Santiago. After building, the team will have time to explore the city or hike in the surrounding Andes Mountains.
- Experience an immersive building trip. Your team will spend time with the supported families, hear their stories, and partner with them to ensure they live in a healthy, safe home.
Global Village sends volunteers to build with Habitat for Humanity projects across the world. Get your hands dirty on the work site, meet families whose housing situations have been improved with Habitat’s help, experience the area like an insider and do it all alongside a team of like-minded volunteers. No experience is required! This build is your next step with Habitat to make the world a better place.
Program donation and fundraising
About half of the cost is a direct contribution to Habitat’s work, and the rest covers your volunteer experience.
You may fundraise or give the program donation. Fundraising is as easy as telling your friends, family and co-workers about why you build with Habitat for Humanity. They may even ask to join the team! We set you up with a great website and coaching for success.
Volunteers are encouraged to set a fundraising goal over the minimum. Every donation you raise keeps Habitat building after your team returns home and helps us serve another family.
- Days 1-2: Travel. Depart from home and join us in Chile! Habitat will greet you when you arrive and take you to meet your team at your project site.
- Day 3: Orientation. Learn about Habitat’s innovative work and your team’s project. The team will then work on the build site.
- Days 4-7: Build. The team will mix cement, lay bricks and assist the local masons to improve the home of a child with special needs. The team will have time for excursions, rest and reflection meetings in the evenings.
- Day 8: Explore. Build in the morning, and enjoy a farewell lunch with partner families. In the afternoon, the team will go sightseeing in and around the Santiago.
- Day 9: Goodbyes. Continue your journey in South America independently or head on home.
Meals and accommodations
The team will stay in a modest, comfortable hotel and usually eat lunch on the build site, with breakfast and dinner at the hotel or local restaurants.
We will connect you with a team leader within two business days. The team leader will tell you more about the build and learn about you. After speaking with the team leader, donate or fundraise your deposit to secure your spot on the team. The team leader will help you prepare and lead you during the trip.
Have a question?
Your team leader, Yelena Vinokur, would love to tell you more about trip! Email Yelena at firstname.lastname@example.org.
When asked about previous Global Village experiences, Yelena said, "All six of my Habitat builds were as different as the communities we worked with, but the shared theme - working daily alongside the home partners and interacting with the children - made each trip uniquely memorable and special."