Trip cost: US$2,350
Come together with a team of volunteers to build a home for orphans and their caretaker in a rural village in Malawi.
Your team will work with skilled masons to build a safe, decent house up from the foundation. The neighbors will welcome you into their community, so you’ll be immersed in the daily life of that village. You may be invited into some other families’ homes, see their corn crops, and even meet a few pets.
After your team builds the house, Habitat for Humanity will provide the children with health education, legal assistance, and community support. That’s a story you’ll be excited to share back home.
Global Village sends volunteers to build with Habitat for Humanity projects across the world. Get your hands dirty on the work site, meet the families whose housing situation you are improving, experience the country like an insider and do it all alongside a team of like-minded volunteers. No experience is required! This build is your next step with Habitat to make the world a better place.
- Day 1, Friday: Most volunteers will depart from North America on this day.
- Day 2, Saturday: Arrive in Lilongwe, Malawi, where Habitat picks you up at the airport. Meet your team at dinner.
- Day 3, Sunday: Habitat staff will share about our innovative work in Malawi and brief the team on your project. Travel to the community where you’ll build.
- Days 4-7, Monday-Thursday: Build, with free time and team activities in the evenings.
- Day 8, Friday: Build, then enjoy the house dedication ceremony. Return to Lilongwe.
- Day 9, Saturday: Explore Lilongwe, Malawi’s capital city.
- Day 10, Sunday: Continue your journey in Africa independently or depart for home.
Meals and accommodations
Global Village teams stay in modest, comfortable hotels with double-occupancy rooms. Breakfast and dinner are taken at the hotel most nights, and lunch is served on the work site.
Tasks on the work site
Typical work includes mixing mortar and concrete, carrying construction materials, fixing chicken wires, digging foundations, making bricks, carrying water and other tasks as assigned by the expert construction workers.
Join this team
For more information about this experience contact Natalie Nuce at email@example.com.
If you’re ready to join the team, register today at www.habitat.org/gv/closed using event code GV18531.