Trip cost: US$2,300
Come together with a team of volunteers to build a home for orphans and their caretaker in a rural village in Malawi.
Your team will work with skilled masons to build a safe, decent house up from the foundation. The neighbors will welcome you into their community, so you’ll be immersed in the daily life of that village. You may be invited into some other families’ homes, see their corn crops and even meet a few pets.
After your team builds the house, Habitat for Humanity will provide the children with health education, legal assistance and community support. That’s a story you’ll be excited to share back home.
Global Village sends volunteers to build with Habitat for Humanity projects across the world. Get your hands dirty on the work site, meet families whose housing situations have been improved with Habitat’s help, experience the area like an insider and do it all alongside a team of like-minded volunteers. No experience is required! This build is your next step with Habitat to make the world a better place.
Program donation and fundraising
You may fundraise or give the program donation. Fundraising is as easy as telling your friends, family and co-workers about why you build with Habitat for Humanity. They may even ask to join the team! We set you up with a great website and coaching for success.
Consider setting a fundraising goal over the minimum. Every donation you raise keeps Habitat building after your team returns home and helps us serve another family.
- Day 1, Travel. Most volunteers will depart from North America on this day.
- Day 2, Arrive. Welcome to Lilongwe, Malawi! Habitat for Humanity will greet you at the airport and introduce you to your team at dinner.
- Day 3, Orientation. Habitat staff will share about our innovative work in Malawi and brief the team on your project. Travel to the community where you’ll build.
- Days 4-7, Build. Work with local, skilled construction workers. In the evenings, the team will have time for excursions, rest and reflection meetings.
- Day 8, Celebrate. Build, then enjoy the house dedication ceremony. Return to Lilongwe.
- Day 9, Explore. Venture through Malawi’s capital city, Lilongwe.
- Day 10, Goodbyes. Continue your journey in Africa independently or depart for home.
Meals and accommodations
Global Village teams stay in modest, comfortable hotels with double-occupancy rooms. Breakfast and dinner are taken at the hotel most nights, and lunch is served on the work site.
Types of work for volunteers
Typical work includes mixing mortar and concrete, carrying construction materials, fixing chicken wires, digging foundations, making bricks, carrying water and other tasks as assigned by the expert construction workers.
We will connect you with a team leader within two business days. The team leader will tell you more about the build and learn about you. After speaking with the team leader, donate or fundraise your deposit to secure your spot on the team. The team leader will help you prepare and lead you during the trip.
Have a question?
Your team leader, Andrina Ong, would love to tell you more about the trip! Email Andrina at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Andrina says regarding her Global Village experiences, “One of my favorite memories was my first as a trip leader in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia. I led a team of 16 amazing volunteers from all over the world, and we all clicked instantly. We bonded with the families, had karaoke competitions, played card games in a ger, learned archery and built two houses. We were only together for a limited time, but during those two weeks we created a lifetime of memories for everyone on the team and for the families that we served. All of us have kept in touch ever since that incredible summer.”