Trip cost: US$1,720
Join us for a volunteer trip to one of the most beautiful destinations in America. On this Global Village trip, you’ll help a family obtain a safe, decent and affordable home and experience Hawaii’s gorgeous landscape and rich culture.
Your team will help in most stages of home construction, from digging footings, raising walls and roofing, to finishing interiors with flooring or cabinetry.
During your time off, you can experience traditional Hawaiian culture through luaus, touring historic Hanapepe Town during Friday night Art Walk, visiting the Kauai Coffee Visitors center, relaxing at a beautiful beach, hiking along the Maha‘ulepu trail, biking the Ke Ala Hele Makalae coastal bike path and much more.
You’ll be hosted at a five-bedroom, three-bathroom volunteer house that has a full kitchen, laundry views and a distant view of the ocean. Prepare meals together as a team and dine out at local restaurants.
- Monday: Arrive. Join us in Hawaii, where you’ll be greeted at the airport by your team leader and meet up with the rest of your team.
- Tuesday: Learn. Habitat staff will explain about their work in Hawaii. We’ll also have free time for team activities.
- Wednesday-Saturday: Build. The team will start construction activities, stopping for breaks and lunch eat day. Excursions, rest and reflection time will follow in the evenings.
- Sunday-Monday: Explore. Discover all that the island has to offer with a day off from build activities.
- Tuesday-Wednesday: Build. Return to the build site. Excursions, rest and reflection time will follow in the evenings with a farewell team dinner Wednesday night.
- Thursday: Goodbyes. Continue your journey in Hawaii independently or head home.
Leading this trip
Jean Currie has been going to Kauai for six years. When asked why she’s excited to lead another trip there, Jean said, “I love the people there and their culture. I enjoy working with the people at the affiliate and building safe, decent and affordable housing to an area in so much need.”